Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Do our first Amendment rights still exist?

This came across my Email box... you decide if we still can speak out without a govt penalty:

Imagine an America in which the government can prevent protest in any public space it deems fit. Where wearing a dissenting shirt around an elected official could be construed as a felony. Where First-Amendment protections become privileges subjectively doled out by the state. Sadly, that America is pretty much here.

In March, Congress passed HR 347, a bill that limits Americans' ability to protest in public and on government grounds. Mainstream media didn't raise peep, but now there's finally some anger building. The bill, passed almost unanimously, makes it a federal offense punishable by up to ten years in prison to "knowingly" protest in the vicinity of the Secret Service -- that is anywhere the Secret Service "is or will be temporarily visiting."

Click here to demand that Congress reinstate -- and safeguard -- Americans' right to engage in protest. This campaign is being run by WatchDog.net, a side-project of Demand Progress. <http://act.demandprogress.org/go/692...1890687.0hCE2d>

It also makes many public events impervious to lawful protest. Any "National Security Special Event" (NSSE) requires Secret Service protection. NSSE-designated events have proliferated since 9/11 to include Super Bowls, concerts, campaign events, and now any public event that Very Important People want protest-free.

Most dangerously, it criminalizes protest. Under the bill, "disorderly or disruptive conduct" or activities that "impede or disrupt the orderly conduct of Government business or official functions" could warrant felony charges. What constitutes such "disruptive conduct" rests in the eye of the beholder--or the eye of Eric Holder. To put it plainly: the government can decide where and when free speech is allowed and severely prosecute any "disruptive" activity, while we're confined to "free speech zones." We can help fix it, however!

Will you click here to sign WatchDog.net's petition to protect our speech rights? <http://act.demandprogress.org/go/692...1890687.0hCE2d>

Let's keep on fighting.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

I have maintained all along that the primary free speech that the first amendment was intended to protect is free political speech, the right to disagree with the government in public. This is a direct attack on the first amendment and a clear violation of the constitution.

I maintain that the first and second amendments go together! The second amendment is there to enforce the first. Both are under direct attack by the democrats and other liberals. Notice I put democrats and liberals in the same group. As of late I have come to the conclusion that they are one and the same.

Hugh

What do you really expect? It's the next step. 8 yrs ago people were denied there right to protest against the republican's national convention in NYC. Permits were denied for usage of central park(a public park because they didn't want the grass trampled), if you were on certain streets you got detained and carted off to Pier 94 which NYPD made into a gaint holding tank were you were detained for up tp 3 days. Look at the G8 protests over the years. You cannot heckle the President or you get arrested, it happened resently. We are going to lose everything because we are a people who walk lock and step with one of the 2 political parties we choose. Tiananmen Square will happen here if hadn't already.

Imagine a country where if you printed a book containing religious beliefs or an anti political message and you and your family were gathered up and shot in the back of the head for it.

Being a disruptive protester and freedom of speech are two entirely different things.
    UA LU189

10mm, because it's better than .45acp

Whether a protestor is disruptive or not is NOT the issue... the issue is FREEDOM OF SPEECH... PERIOD.

What I would accept is: The demonstrators have to stay across the street, in a designated space. However anything beyond across the street would be a violation of the 'spirit' of the first amendment IMO.

The point of the first amendment is to give voice to folks who disagree with govt. The purpose of giving them voice is to keep govt honest and under the control of the people. And I agree with Hugh; the second amendment is to put some punch (when necessary) behind the first amendment. Just the reality of a potential act of 'disbanding the govt and form a new one' (as given as legal in the founding documents) would keep a polecat's thinking under control.

Sooner or later, we need to realize those guys who wrote and signed the founding documents knew more than we give them credit for... literally NOTHING we deal with today, they did not anticipate back then and give us a way to handle... What we need to do is quit thinking we know it all... and listen to their wisdom.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post

Sooner or later, we need to realize those guys who wrote and signed the founding documents knew more than we give them credit for... literally NOTHING we deal with today, they did not anticipate back then and give us a way to handle... What we need to do is quit thinking we know it all... and listen to their wisdom.
    It really is mind blowing. How could they have been so smart?

Maybe it's the genetically modified food we are all eating.
    Which makes more sense to you?
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

DO THE NUMBERS! Step on a HOMESCALE.
    What is comfort? Well, it AIN'T just TEMPERATURE!

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.

Quote Originally Posted by tedkidd View Post

It's more the fact they didn't have all of the mind numbing technology we have today. They didn't go home and sit infront of the TV, or play games or facebook or any other electronic device. They worked late and then thought about things. All of the time!

But yeah, pretty smart fellas!
    Don't worry zombies are looking for brains, you're safe...

Oh, I think there is not a simple explanation... however if folks want a 'sound byte' here goes:

A cross between moral decay and arrogance.

Lets see if anyone understands that... <grin>
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

Quote Originally Posted by zw17 View Post
    Imagine a country where if you printed a book containing religious beliefs or an anti political message and you and your family were gathered up and shot in the back of the head for it.

Being a disruptive protester and freedom of speech are two entirely different things.
    The main difference between to two groups for most people is if they agree with them or not. If they agree it's free speech, if they don't they are just a disruptive protester.

Quote Originally Posted by Elfshadow View Post
    The main difference between to two groups for most people is if they agree with them or not. If they agree it's free speech, if they don't they are just a disruptive protester.
    Wordsmith - Bang on

I'm dripping with envy.

...and LMAO!

Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    Oh, I think there is not a simple explanation... however if folks want a 'sound byte' here goes:

A cross between moral decay and arrogance.

Lets see if anyone understands that... <grin>
    ooofffff. I doubt people have changed much. When you read the bible it seems they haven't.

But you've nudged me out for top cynic award today.
    Which makes more sense to you?
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

DO THE NUMBERS! Step on a HOMESCALE.
    What is comfort? Well, it AIN'T just TEMPERATURE!

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.

Wordsmith - Bang on

I'm dripping with envy.

...and LMAO!

ooofffff. I doubt people have changed much. When you read the bible it seems they haven't.

But you've nudged me out for top cynic award today.
    Ya know, it is a shame...

One of my favourite economic newsletter writers (Richard Russell, Dow Theory Letters) said:

Sooner or later, most investors study enough to understand what is REALLY going on... then they get angry... then they become cynical.

After trading the markets (active trader) for decades... I think I have reached that level.

I bet you and I could have some grand conversations about markets and history... <grin>
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

Quote Originally Posted by Elfshadow View Post
    Reminds me of this song from the 1960's:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5M_Ttstbgs

You see... back when: The SAME issues were there... just different circumstances.

The founding fathers experienced the same things we do today... just different circumstances.

So are we smart enough to learn from others as wise (or wiser) than ourselves... or are we destined to be the same fools (led around like sheep by polecats) as previous generations?

The choice is free to each person... this is something the govt cannot control... that is unless we allow our minds to not be fertile places of understanding.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

Yeah, just what we need more common loving fagot hippies screaming their heads off burning our flag. No thanks. Thank u very much

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast