Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Replacement central air: Rheem, Trane, or Maytag?

My husband and I have a 1400 sq ft, single story home in San Diego. We need to replace our 8-year old 3-ton Payne air conditioning unit owing to a problem with the compressor (confirmed by technicians from two different HVAC companies). The system was installed by a previous owner.

The coil, furnace, and ductwork are in a crawlspace under our house, and the condenser is in the backyard. We are constrained by the placement of the condenser, which has to fit in a 47” wide space between a wall and a shed containing our water heater.

We received estimates from three different licensed HVAC contractors. Which of these options looks best?

3-ton, 13 SEER Rheem system:
    • Rheem condensing unit MDL#:RANL036JAZ
    • ADP plenum coil MDL# PL36H175P15635 (According to the contractor, a Rheem coil will not work because we don’t have enough room for a standard coil application. With the ADP coil they can mount the ducts right to it just like the existing coil there now.)
    • 10 year warranty on condenser, 5 year warranty on coil, 2 year warranty on labor

3-ton, 13 SEER Trane system:
    • Trane condensing unit MDL# XB300
    • All Style horizontal left ductboard coil (According to the contractor, they’d use this over a Trane coil so they don’t have to reconfigure or reroute ductwork.)
    • 10 year warranty on condenser, 5 year warranty on coil, 1 year warranty on labor

3-ton, 13 SEER Maytag system:
    • Maytag M120 condensing unit MDL# CSA4BDO36K
    • Maytag cooling coil MDL# NE32636C175B1601AP
    • 12 year warranty on parts, 1 year warranty on labor

I’ve read decent things about both Trane and Rheem, but I understand that mismatched parts are not ideal (although whatever we select will be mismatched to our furnace, which is a Payne).

We like the Maytag warranty and matched parts, but there doesn’t seem to be a lot of information available about Maytag HVAC systems, and I’m not sure how many companies in our area service Maytag units in the event of a problem.

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide.

The contractor is more important than the equipment. All of those systems will perform at the same level. Any reason why you aren't getting a heat pump??? Matched coils are preferable unless there is an AHRI match for the Trane and Rheem systems with the ADP and whatever the "all style" coil is. Ask those contractors if their proposed system has an AHRI number. Did any of them do a load calculation on your home to determine equipment size?
    America; first we fight for our freedom,
    then we make laws to take it away.

-Alfred E Newman

The Trane is a super cheapo. I'd avoid it for a XB13 or XR13.

The Rheem is a deluxe outdoor unit. You can register it and the ADP coil and get 10 year parts warranty on both.

The Maytag system doesn't include a Maytag coil, that's an ADP too. You cannot register a Maytag without a matched coil so all you get is 5 year parts.

Equipment wise, the Rheem system to me is the best. But as Liberty says, contractor and proper sizing is key.

+1 for the Rheem/contractor. I'd question the 3 ton A/C quote, I've got 200 more sqft and my 2 ton unit will keep 75 when it gets 100 outside. If you don't have 3 tons of ductwork you're throwing money away on a 3 ton unit.

Hands down, the Trane CU is the first to get dirty and the most labor intensive to clean. It's their "spiny fin" coil. Not cleanable by the HO.

The XB300 has a microchannel coil

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

I did not know trane cheapo 13 seer has 10 years warranty. Unless goodman and register them online

Maybe I am not living in CA

Registered, the XB300 has 10/10/10 like almost everyone.

I can wash a spine fin coil with just a hose in 10 min

Maytag is at least assembled in the USA! Go Maytag!

Quote Originally Posted by Danimal535 View Post
    I can wash a spine fin coil with just a hose in 10 min
    Ever have to clean one thats near a cottonwood?
    America; first we fight for our freedom,
    then we make laws to take it away.

-Alfred E Newman

Thanks for the input! We don't have much to go on with regard to differences between the contractors. We selected all three based on positive reviews on Angie's List and good ratings with the Better Business Bureau.

The Trane has been on the bottom of our list because the XB300 is the base model and doesn't have the spine fin coil, and your responses so far are confirming that for us. We can't get the XB13 because it requires 12" of clearance on three sides, and we don't have that.

We've been leaning toward the Rheem because the unit is not a base model and the labor warranty is 2 years instead of 1 year. The Rheem contractor also made a concerted effort to determine whether the problem was something other than the compressor that would require a much less expensive fix.

I can ask the Rheem contractor about the AHRI certification of the specific Rheem condenser/ADP coil. I checked the AHRI database myself -- the specific ADP plenum coil they quoted is matched with Rheem models RARL-037JEC and RARL-037JEZ, but I didn't see any Rheem RANL outdoor units paired with ADP indoor coils. Maybe I'm missing something, though.

As for the load calculation, the Trane contractor said they do a full load calc once you've accept their proposal. The Rheem contractor said they did a load calc and it was 3 ton, but also said they didn't have much choice anyway because we're using the existing furnace and that's 3 ton. Does that sound right? The Maytag contractor said they did load calcs, but I neglected to follow up with them about whether they actually did.

Thank that Rheem contractor. More then once, I've been pricing replacements because of a bad compressor, at customer request. Occassionally, I found a cheap repair would get them running again. Ethically, I had to tell client that he was mis informed on the bad compressor.

Compressor failure, many times, are a result of another failed part.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast