Thread: Evaporator coil with new furnace and no AC

Post Likes

Evaporator coil with new furnace and no AC

I am going to replace my old furnace and do not have an AC unit. I was considering adding an AC with the new furnace but decided not to do it for now. There is a 30%-50% chance I will do it in a couple of years.
    One contractor suggested installing a vertical evaporator coil now with the new furnace in order to make it AC ready in case I will decide to add the AC in the future.
    Does this make sense? Will it save me money to install the evaporator coil now with the new furnace if I will decide to add an AC in the future? Will the system function better in that case? Would the new AC need to fit the existing evaporator coil (i.e. limiting my options)?

Post Likes
    Yes to the last question.

I'd have an empty box placed above/below the new furnace as appropriate. That way you can get the unit of your choosing when the time comes.

Post Likes
    installing coil now saves zero .....it costs money..you are paying for a coil you may never use
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

Post Likes
    Ditto with #2 and #3. It's bad advice (period). I would question the person's intentions for telling you such a thing.

Post Likes
    Just have them pull the coil from the coil box, install the box the coil goes in, preserve the coil in a nice conditioned place, then if you ever want to install a/c, they can just slip the coil back into the box.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in