Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Its amazing to me...

I have 8 years in the trade and I work for a union shop. I was the top apprentice in my graduating class, and I am amazed at how LITTLE I know. Scouring through the forums, looking at all the questions asked and answered blows me away. I am new to this forum, and I think I can learn a lot here just by reading and taking notes. Our shop has our fair share of chiller work, ice plant, pumps and towers, all the major mini split and vrv systems, and your regular old package units and heat pumps; but I have so much to learn.........

Quote Originally Posted by 000 View Post
    I have 8 years in the trade and I work for a union shop. I was the top apprentice in my graduating class, and I am amazed at how LITTLE I know. Scouring through the forums, looking at all the questions asked and answered blows me away. I am new to this forum, and I think I can learn a lot here just by reading and taking notes. Our shop has our fair share of chiller work, ice plant, pumps and towers, all the major mini split and vrv systems, and your regular old package units and heat pumps; but I have so much to learn.........

I'm in the same boat. Worked for 12 years at HVAC manufacture and am amazed at what I have not learned or been taught.

if you can't learn from this forum, it's because you don't want to.

exposure=knowledge, there's only so much that can be rendered from a book or class.

get that post count up, get pro status and be WARNED: your head may explode once behind the shroud
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

I have found it's not how much you know . No one is born knowing HVAC and no one can remember every detail ..

Learn where to find the information , have the skills to understand what you are reading and how and to apply it.
    mikeacman

I used to try to memorize everything. Read read read. After several years I realized I have a maximum capacity of working memory. Haha. Smart phone full of manuals and acceptance of the fact that I can't know everything gives me piece of mind in this very complex but rewarding trade. Don't beat yourself up we all have to learn every day.

A really good tech takes about ten to fifteen years ot develop. In the meantime, try ot be humble, or the machines will do it to you, lol. Read, ask questions, build a library in your home, and start storing phone numbers. In general, A really good mechanic has more phone numbers than an average one. Form relationships on the jobs, helping those you can, and asking for help where necessary.

always remeber..."you dont have to know all of the answers, but you do have to know where to go to get them". rolodex and library are two good sources, this place can be another if you have enough information ot ask the right questions. As an example, my phone holds only 800 numbers, it is full.

X2

Quote Originally Posted by flange View Post
    A really good tech takes about ten to fifteen years ot develop. In the meantime, try ot be humble, or the machines will do it to you, lol. Read, ask questions, build a library in your home, and start storing phone numbers. In general, A really good mechanic has more phone numbers than an average one. Form relationships on the jobs, helping those you can, and asking for help where necessary.

always remeber..."you dont have to know all of the answers, but you do have to know where to go to get them". rolodex and library are two good sources, this place can be another if you have enough information ot ask the right questions. As an example, my phone holds only 800 numbers, it is full.

I have 1860 contacts.
    You are one!
    Lol

Quote Originally Posted by 000 View Post
    Welcome to H-talk. It is a good place to learn the trade. I wouldn't be anywhere near my current level as a technician without this (and others) site.

chuck
    i talked to your boss today

he says your level has not raised from a .5 to a 1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so this site has helped a lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcrj View Post
    Welcome to H-talk. It is a good place to learn the trade. I wouldn't be anywhere near my current level as a technician without this (and others) site.
    I WILL SELL WORK,GENERATE BUSINESS, GO GET NEW CUSTOMERS!
    YOU SHUT THE HELL UP AND QUIT RUNNING YOUR MOUTH!

Quote Originally Posted by supertek65 View Post
    chuck
    i talked to your boss today

he says your level has not raised from a .5 to a 1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so this site has helped a lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Call him back and tell him he couldn't diagnose his way out of a paper sack!!!!!

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Call him back and tell him he couldn't diagnose his way out of a paper sack!!!!!

oh and he offered me a dollar an hour more than you and a truck with power windows!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast