Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

refrigerant based computer cooling

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but here goes.

I am a computer repair and support technician and over the last 10 years i have seen more than half of the computers i work on damaged due to overheating.

I believe this to be a resolvable problem if one had the enginutiy to work out and produce a very low power localized cooling/heat removal system.

now for my question is it possible to remove heat from something as small as individual computer parts with a refrigerant that would be nontoxic should the system leak?

I have spoken with some family with experience working with refrigerators and i know the basics of refrigeration.. less cooling more removing heat but my fear iis condesation.

I know this is very long winded but i hope to get some solid ideas so that I can try to begin test building a system in the next year or two.

Thank you all in advance

It's doable, but you have to keep the humidity at a certain level or there go your mobo and cards. I know there's the option of water-cooling and some guys have been doing it on an individual casing basis, probably for gaming platforms (more money than common sense). That would probably be your best option for this application if air circ isn't enough and you don't wanna condition the entire space.

Thermal take and several other company's already make those.

The key (to me) would be to have an inclosed system with a supply and return air to a refrigerant system outside of the tower and humidity control. I think the best but expensive method would be to use a liquid nitrogen system with temperature controlled bursts (like the spark plugs on a truck) into to a system that has been dehumidified outside of the tower. The tower would have to be an enclosed cased with only one fan for airflow. This way you are taking the heat off not just the CPU but also from the video card and memory chips.
    If you're too "open" minded, your brains will fall out.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

IBM has beat you to the punch.They had chilled water cooled main frames in the late 1970's,maybe before!

There are a number of individuals and small outfits that make "phase change" units for computer cooling.
    The installation and operation of them is not for the casual user.
    They are typically intended for extreme overclockers that are pushing their hardware past the normal limits.

More conventional water cooling is a better option for gamers, and other computer users who want better cooling, and are willing to put up with a little more maintenance.

I've got 2 water cooled computer systems.
    One of the systems has a GTX580 video card that is massively overclocked and over volted to maximize its performance for a distributed computing competition.
    It is cooled by a small chiller I built to supply it with 5-10ēC water.

This is my main system.
    The CPU and video cards are moderately highly overclocked, and run at 100% load 24/7 working on a distributed computing project for cancer and alzheimer's research.

If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

So ....Mark......I'm on Zul'jin, you? HAHAHHAHA

Quote Originally Posted by XcelTech View Post
    Ysera, but I haven't played in over a year.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Quote Originally Posted by XcelTech View Post
    English, please

I have the 600T case as well . White edition. ssooooo sweet. Since I am a first time water cooler I went with the Corsair H80 and it seems to work great.

And yeah... Some guys do use Nitrogen for the extreme overclocking.

You guys should check this out: http://www.maximumpc.com/article/new...ent_cpu_cooler

The future of HVAC fans there?

Quote Originally Posted by coolperfect View Post
    IBM has beat you to the punch.They had chilled water cooled main frames in the late 1970's,maybe before!
    I hooked the chiller portion up to an IBM sometime around that time. The computer section was huge. Like 8'x12' if memory serves. 70 degf water supply. Glad it didn't leak.
    Tracers work both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    There are a number of individuals and small outfits that make "phase change" units for computer cooling.
    The installation and operation of them is not for the casual user.
    They are typically intended for extreme overclockers that are pushing their hardware past the normal limits.

More conventional water cooling is a better option for gamers, and other computer users who want better cooling, and are willing to put up with a little more maintenance.

I've got 2 water cooled computer systems.
    One of the systems has a GTX580 video card that is massively overclocked and over volted to maximize its performance for a distributed computing competition.
    It is cooled by a small chiller I built to supply it with 5-10ēC water.

This is my main system.
    The CPU and video cards are moderately highly overclocked, and run at 100% load 24/7 working on a distributed computing project for cancer and alzheimer's research..................
    Very impressive Mark. Are there brownouts in your neighborhood? lol
    The picture in my avatar is of the Houston Ship Channel and was taken from my backyard. I like to sit outside and slap mosquitos while watching countless supertankers, barges and cargo ships of every shape and size carry all sorts of deadly toxins to and fro. It's really beautiful at times.....just don't eat the three eyed fish....

¯`ˇ.¸¸ .ˇ´¯`ˇ .¸>÷÷(((°>

`ˇ.¸¸..ˇ ´¯`ˇ.¸ ¸.ˇ´¯` ˇ.¸>÷÷(((°>

.ˇ´¯`ˇ .¸>÷÷(((°>

LMAOSHMSFOAIDMT

Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post
    I hooked the chiller portion up to an IBM sometime around that time. The computer section was huge. Like 8'x12' if memory serves. 70 degf water supply. Glad it didn't leak.
    http://www-03.ibm.com/ibm/history/ex...me_PP3083.html We had many big rooms with them,hooked up to Liebert chiller,with back up.The supply water was 54deg but if there was a water problem you had Like 90 seconds to fix it or the room dumped The raised floor was 3 ft high due to the amount of cables going to this thing.

Mark,

Weren't to impressed with the expansion?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast