No ducts in walls.

I have a question about the heating setup in the house I am renting.

It is a two family, split house.

There is no AC, accept for window units.

We noticed the smell of cigarette smoke, and found it was coming out strong from the return registers. The guy on the other side smokes.

I noticed on the return line, the line coming from the second floor, there is no duct-work. In the basement, the extended plenum runs out, with round pipe to the first floor supply registers.

The second floor return, runs up to the small second floor hallway, inside the wall, with no duct. Just the inside of the wall up to the space between the hallway and the bathroom, and actually when I took off the register, the opening comes up under the bathtub. Which there is a large space under there, and is likely how the smoke is finding its way around. Through these ductless passageways.

This isn't one of those new ductless systems, I just wonder how typical this is.

it sucks, but it's very common.
    The TRUE highest cost system is the system not installed properly...
    The three big summer hearththrobs...
    Mel Gibson
    Dwane Johnson
    The A/C repairman

excessively common.

Being able to smell your neighboor is pretty common in older multifamily rental property.

Doubt there's a good way to seal it, even if you can get the landlord to do it.

Unfortunetly, it's how it goes when you rent :-\.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

I just hadn't noticed that, when I did HVAC work in MO.

I thought it may be some Colorado thing.

I don't need any instruction, I am maybe going to look at making a register boot, to seal off where the space comes up the wall, to under the bathtub, to the grille.

So the air will go in and right to the unit. And no smoke, if coming from back around under the tub area will.

Depending on the space I have to work, it may not be 100% sealed, but it will be better than no seal.

Since the property management knows I do maintenance, most cases they let me do it, and I give in the receipts.