Thread: My AC Sucks, What Should I do?

Post Likes

My AC Sucks, What Should I do?

New to the forum here, looks great! I bought my condo a few years ago and there was a Rheem 9 Classic Heat Pump on the balcony when I moved in. It turns on and off fine, but the pressure of the air coming out seems very low and the air is not very cool. When I got my inspection, the inspector told me the delta temp between air coming out and air coming in was about 10-15 degrees too low when the AC was on. I replaced the filter when I moved in(inside the house) but I'm assuming this thing is OG so the unit itself has gotta be about 22 years old?

I live in SoCal so I don't use the heat much, but this summer has been insanely hot and still is insanely hot. Can't take it anymore, so I'm wondering if these type of units can be fixed with new freon or should I get a whole new unit? I really don't want a whole new unit and probably won't get one so any ideas about what may be wrong with my current one would be greatly appreciated.

Post Likes
    If it is cooling then you don't really need a new one.

You should have a professional review the system to tell you what the actual problem is.

Post Likes
    It isn't cooling very well is the problem, so I should just hire a pro for this?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by yourpfpro View Post
    It isn't cooling very well is the problem, so I should just hire a pro for this?
    Well, it IS cooling, just not well.

Did it used to cool better?

There are a number of reasons that should be checked for "insufficient cooling" calls. Refrigerant is one of them, but only one.

Post Likes
    airflow, cleanliness, duct leakage, refrigerant pressures and temps, equipment size, structure tightness, insulation compaction/level/quantity. all have equal importance, and all should be checked by a qualified pro to find the problem with the cooling ability.
    The TRUE highest cost system is the system not installed properly...

Find a HVAC-Talk Contractor by clicking here

Click below to BECOME a pro member
    https://hvac-talk.com/vbb/forumdispl...ip-Information

Do you go to a boat repairman with a sinking boat, and tell him to put in a bigger motor when he tells you to fix the holes?

I am yourmrfixit

Post Likes
    New to the forum here, looks great! I bought my condo a few years ago and there was a Rheem 9 Classic Heat Pump on the balcony when I moved in. ... I replaced the filter when I moved in(inside the house) but I'm assuming this thing is OG so the unit itself has gotta be about 22 years old?

.. or should I get a whole new unit?
    I don't see a unit as having ANY remaining Life if it's Already 22 years old and the filter is ONLY changed every FEW years.

Get a new one unit along with a standard Annual Maintenance Agreement [ at least 2 service calls per year].

With CA electric rates, the electric bill savings ought to be NOTICABLE.
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    A dirty/clogged condenser coil is a common cause for poor cooling.

Post Likes
    New to the forum here, looks great! I bought my condo a few years ago and there was a Rheem 9 Classic Heat Pump on the balcony when I moved in.
    It turns on and off fine, but the pressure of the air coming out seems very low and the air is not very cool.
    When I got my inspection, the inspector told me the delta temp between air coming out and air coming in was about 10-15 degrees too low when the AC was on.
    I replaced the filter when I moved in(inside the house) but I'm assuming this thing is OG so the unit itself has gotta be about 22 years old?

I live in SoCal so I don't use the heat much, but this summer has been insanely hot and still is insanely hot. Can't take it anymore, so I'm wondering if these type of units can be fixed with new freon or should I get a whole new unit? I really don't want a whole new unit and probably won't get one so any ideas about what may be wrong with my current one would be greatly appreciated.
    Turn the power off to the indoor furnace & the outdoor condenser; then wash out the condenser coils & fins, be very careful to not bend the fins by too high a water pressure &not keeping the stream in-line with the fins.

Also, while all the power is off, if you feel fully competent to do these things, check the indoor blower wheel blades for lint buildup, if filled with lint the evaporator coil will also be insulated & partially plugged. I advise using an HVAC Tech for doing that job right & cleaning the blower blades.

After the condenser has dried out do a test on the system to see if it cools better; if not enough better - I'd take the following temps.

All U need is a good thermometer (digital reading in tenths preferable) and an indoor Humidity Gauge

1) Helpful; Tonnage & SEER of Unit &/or outdoor condenser model number: Minimum SEER upped to 10-SEER in 1987; upped to 13-SEER in 2006

2) TXV or, orifice metering device? _______. Only if U know…

3) Outdoor condenser’s discharge-air-temperature ______-F
    Subtract Outdoor air temperature: _______
    Outdoor Condenser Air-Temp-Split _______

4) Need the ‘Indoor’ percent of relative humidity - in the middle of the rooms or, at Return-Air inlet grilles ___

5) Indoor Return-Air Temperature ______
    Subtract Indoor Supply-Air Temperature ______ -F
    Indoor temperature-split _______-F

What type of filters are you using pleated or cheap fiber glass; also filter area(s) in sq.ins. _____________ ________________

Use a "Reply with Quote," then just fill-in all the temps & the indoor humidity.

You'll have to call a contractor to get the problems fixed, however, you'll have some clues to guide you plus some ideas as to what to ask the TECH about. It's up to you...might save you some money getting it done Right when the tech comes out...?
    Last edited by udarrell; 09-13-2012 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Save on getting it done right...

Post Likes
    Yes. No need to replace a 20 year old car cause of a flat tire if it still runs good rite? Same deal here. If you don't know why it's not cooling well you don't know if it needs to be replaced. Replacement can be very expensive. A good cleaning $$$$ and may get her going agin. Don't recommend putting the tools to it yourself, can get you hurt or killed. Good luck.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 09-13-2012 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Pricing

Post Likes
    The "man" does not wanna spend the money to get comfort.
    He wants free service and that is why he is in this forum

Don't wanna buy a new unit. But at least spend the $$ to have it fixed.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in