New to the Northern VA area.

Hello,

I just moved to the Woodbridge area with my daughter, wife on the way shortly. I moved to have a new start with my family. I was looking on jobs sites and HVAC has interested me for sometime now, but I have no experience. My question is, do any companies hire helpers or anyone who is willing to learn the trade? I do have the GI bill so I can pay for college my self, I live close to NOVA and they have a HVAC-R program. I do have my Associates degree in Criminal Justice. I am also a member at Helmets to Hardhats, I can give my id number out to someone if they ask.

Thank you for your time and advice.

I remember seeing something on the Virginia Employment Commisions website about UVA in Charlottesville hiring HVAC Apprentices under the Helmets to Hardhats program. You may want to look into that as well.
    When you do a job, Always make it easier for the next guy, because you may be the next guy working on it.

Just looked nothing. Is taking the HVAC course at the local community college worth the money paid for the classes, or am I going to get the "you have no experience."

Not sure if I'm allowed to post the link, so I was going to send it to you in a private message but you're not set up to recieve private messages.

But try on the Virginia Workforce Connection website and search for HVAC jobs in a 25 mile radius of 22903, should come up as the 3rd or 4th listing.
    When you do a job, Always make it easier for the next guy, because you may be the next guy working on it.

I started my career in No. Va. with only some military schooling. It's a company in Merrifield and Sterling called B & B air conditioning. At the time they hired with little or no experience. I'm not sure of their policy now as this was in '89. They have several shops around Va and Maryland. Check them out.