Confused 3 way supply and return placement

I have selected low bid work because they did my friend's place and he had nice things to say about them.

They are here now and have finished placing the upstairs in-ceiling supply/return registers while I was out yesterday. They typically install central return but I asked for separate room returns.

I am sitting in a room where the three way supply is along an interior wall about 1' from the return duct. One of the three-way's directions is pointed at the return.

I cannot imagine that supply air isn't going to be sucked up the return since they look incredibly close to one another.

Please help. The holes are already cut and the registers in place. Can I ask them to move it?

I have read opinions here that return placement doesn't matter much and am now very hesitant to confront them about it.

Thanks!

Is it possible that there is indeed no issue with the return being so close to the supply?

If the supply threw all of its air away from the return, then I would say no, the supply being close to the return is not a problem. But since you say it's a three way supply grill and part of the supply air likely will go into the return, I would ask if either a curved blade single direction discharge grill be installed on the supply (it will throw air out into the room along the ceiling, where it would then spread out and slowly drop), or move the return (or supply, whichever is easier).
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

Get 2 way supplies, and make sure its not throwing air toward the return.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Thank you for your replies. I have asked for a one or two way, they said "we'll see" and wants me to wait until it's all hooked up. But they've been running it all day and just with partial pressurization, you can feel air from the supply register right above the return strongly. I'm sure it'll be ok, i just felt a tad helpless earlier when they kept saying "we do this all the time" and "it'll be fine".

Resolution was to turn the three way 90 degrees so that 2 ways point to the windows and far wall while the third right up against near wall. Back of register to return. At least no more obvious blowing straight into return can be felt by hand.