I was thinking about taking this cert. (on my own dime) and was wondering what the test contained. I have been in the industry doing Commercial/res for about two years now and I have my A.O.S. in HVAC/R and feel pretty knowlegable, not perfect but pretty good.

I will take the Service tech test and most likly get my specialization in A/C or Heat Pump when I go to take it. But what kind of questions can I expect? Mostly Electrical, or Mechanical, or an even mix of both? How much does the test cost as the webisite is strangly vacant with this knowledge.

Now I will most likley get the DeWalt NATE, ICE, RCCE, Guide that was written by Norm Christopherson (<did I get that one right? If not I blame it on "Hookt on fonix")A.K.A "NORMCHRIS" on this site. Is there any other guides that don't cost an arm and a leg that would be usefull?

Can any of you help a young tech out please?

Try joining the refrigeration engineers society if you have one in your area. I have been a CM (certificate member) for over 15 years, they then grandfathered me in to NATE. You can become a student member, sign up for classes which they post and perhaps your company you work for will help you with the covering some of the costs. It is a great orgainization for someone like you just starting in the field.

I am sorry the organization is refered to has RSES ( refrigeration service enigneers society)

I Took nate this summer, norm's book helped quite a bit got a 98 on Core and 89 on heat pump service-missing 11 bugged me a little bit, but I dont really work on hps much. one weakness seems to me to be he could explain the answers, but you could do it yourself with your textbook too. The book is basically practice tests, i just took the tests cold and quickly to see what i did and didnt know to begin with and then studied up on what i missed. Then take them again and see if you learned anything. The hp service test gets you qualified for hp service and install as well as AC service and install.

eventu rerum stolidi didicere magistro

Thanx alot guys. I will look into the RSES thing. I live in Colorado and am not sure if they have a branch out here. Good to know that Nor Chris's book is a winner too. How much did the tyest cost to go and take?

Chapter Name: City: State: Chapter Contact:
    Mile High Denver CO David E Rice 303/290-6547

Northern Colorado Fort Collins CO Gerald Arbogast 970/221-3748

Though about it for a wile, It didn't pay any more money in florida.
    Just my .02c worth!!!
    Refrigeration...Finding the Wright Wrench to pound in the correct..Screw

I'm taking the Core and gas heating tests this Saturday. I'll come back to this thread and tell you what you can expect. From what I understand, the core is the hardest section, and you need the core to get any of the certs.

NATE is a money grab that never ends, if I'm not qualified after two years of trade school at Pittsburg State, passing the master mechanical test for Kansas and going to classes given by distributors and mfg. for 25 years I never will be. Training is best done thru mfg. and distributor network, knowing the latest inovations in specific controls and equipment from a specific mfg. is more valuable than recertifing on the same basic tests year after year. The trouble is that alot of mfg. and distributors don't want to do training anymore and would rather have you pay for a certification program that has little to do with the specific equipment they sell. Duct sizing , heat loads , electrical controls , combustion, heat pump cycle and refrigeration doesn't change it's basic operation in the course of a few years so why should you have to pay to be tested on it.
    "Paddle faster, I hear banjo music"

I guess that is all very true Jayhawker, but I graduated with an AOS have only been in the field for a couple years so I think taking the cert at least once might be good for me. I agree on the manufacturer training but I have no idea how to get information on where and when those take place.