Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

1 vs. 2 pole contactors

I have always replaced the contactor with the same thing that was already in the unit. If it was a single pole, put a single pole back. But the other day I was told that I could just use a double pole for for all replacements. Is there any problems with doing this? It would be nice to cut down on one some stock that we have to carry! Every little bit helps.

Carriers would use a single pole contactor to bleed a small amount of current through the start winding, as a crankcase heater. This does about nothing. Manufacturers use a single pole because its cheaper. Nothing wrong with going to 2 pole.

Quote Originally Posted by kuntrybumm View Post
    I have always replaced the contactor with the same thing that was already in the unit. If it was a single pole, put a single pole back. But the other day I was told that I could just use a double pole for for all replacements. Is there any problems with doing this? It would be nice to cut down on one some stock that we have to carry! Every little bit helps.
    There's no problem with doing this, other than the fact that you are using a more expensive contactor for no reason at all... Would it work the other way around I wonder?? hmmm...

My understanding is that the one leg is sometimes used as for compressor heat. I replace with like part.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

I've only carried two pole for space reasons. Just wire them the same as a one pole and leave the unbroken leg unbroken. Simple.

I always try to stick to replacing with same component as design, but this one does not worry me much. The claim that is made is that it works as a crankcase heater since one leg to the compressor is always hot. Most techs put any contactor. I think the issue is when a day has a large OA temperature swing where liquid refrigerant would migrate to the compressor and cause damage on startup. This is suppose to help with that.

Goodman puts single poles on all there builders units doesn't seem to make a difference in the long run I think there just cheaper.
    My name is TooCoolforschool and I am a chronic over charger.

I carry only a few contactors for space reasons: 2 pole 40 amp (50A res) in a 24v coil, and 3 pole 40 amp in 24v and 208-230. I've got one of the new sure switches, too, but no takers so far (except for my house). Those cover about 90% or more of what I am working on.

I also don't carry dual run or 370 volt capacitors. I can build any cap combination I need, and 440v has me covered.

As said in regards to the contactor - if trickle heat or something is a problem then wire past one set of points and leave it hot, but that is pretty rare.

Exactly what I do.
    Quote Originally Posted by cjpwalker View Post
    I carry only a few contactors for space reasons: 2 pole 40 amp (50A res) in a 24v coil, and 3 pole 40 amp in 24v and 208-230. I've got one of the new sure switches, too, but no takers so far (except for my house). Those cover about 90% or more of what I am working on.

I also don't carry dual run or 370 volt capacitors. I can build any cap combination I need, and 440v has me covered.

As said in regards to the contactor - if trickle heat or something is a problem then wire past one set of points and leave it hot, but that is pretty rare.

Quote Originally Posted by cjpwalker View Post

+1

I have heard about the trickle heater although if you put a amp clamp they are not drawing current when off. Also its better to have a 2 pole contactor and need a 1 pole than to have a 1 pole and need a 2 pole
    We really need change now

I haven't stocked a single pole contactor on my truck in over 25 years. Absolutely no reason to do so. There are not many units who use the trickle voltage instead of a crankcase heater and as mentioned earlier, you can always jump one side if you need to. It's like carrying 370 and 440 volt caps of the same mfd rating.
    Gary
    -----------
    http://www.oceanhvac.com
    An engineer designs what he would never work on.
    A technician works on what he would never design.

You could always just run a wire from Line to Load on one leg and make it single pole. I carry only double pole contactors on my truck.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast