Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smoke Detector.

Smoke Detector.

So I have been wondering this for about a year and a half. Working at a factory that customizes to what the customer wants we get some pretty weird requests but this one puzzles me. Why do they have us putting smoke detectors in 100% OSA package RTU's? These are units without returns mind you. Exhaust is being handled by other units. Most of the time they seem to be headed for NYC but not always. I have not been able to get a real answer for this, standing answer seems to be detecting fires in nearby buildings or forest fires.

Probably because it is code, according to the "authority having jurisdiction". It is likely easier to have a smoke detector installed than it is to talk common sense to an inspector. That would be my guess, anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by ammoniadog View Post
    Probably because it is code, according to the "authority having jurisdiction". It is likely easier to have a smoke detector installed than it is to talk common sense to an inspector. That would be my guess, anyways.
    This was along the lines I was thinking but was hoping it was something besides stupid regulations.

most likely open plenum returns.

They could use the remote panel shutdown contacts to tie into the main alarm system to shut them off in the even of a fire.

Either way, it can't hurt that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Elfshadow View Post
    standing answer seems to be detecting fires in nearby buildings or forest fires.
    Think about what you have written in your last sentence and what would happen if it continued to run

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Worthington View Post
    Think about what you have written in your last sentence and what would happen if it continued to run

True, but would you actually be able to suck in enough smoke to damage the building? Maybe I suppose.....

We supply the contacts for that weather it has a smoke detector or not.

Quote Originally Posted by dlove View Post
    most likely open plenum returns.

YAY something for me to research. Mind you these are units that don't have any return air ducts at all. They have a outside air damper and nothing else.

Think about a senior complex with a kabillion old folks "Running" for the doors when the building 2 blocks away is on fire and their MUA has sucked in the smoke and set off the internal detectors.

Seen it happen and the place was filled with smoke due to the MUA only.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Worthington View Post
    Think about a senior complex with a kabillion old folks "Running" for the doors when the building 2 blocks away is on fire and their MUA has sucked in the smoke and set off the internal detectors.

Seen it happen and the place was filled with smoke due to the MUA only.
    See this exactly what I was looking for. I knew there was a rational answer for this. Thank you.

This is an 100% outside air unit. no return air.

this will be a code requirement. maybe also for the safety measure for fire nearby or wind effect on the smoke exhaust.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast