What's the largest chilled water line you'd wet tap?

I got a customer that wants to wet tap a 3/4" line into a 12"+ chilled water supply and return line for a supplemental fan coil unit. Sure, I can make the wet tap, but control the flow on chilled water lines that big? Any advice?

You wouldn't be controlling the flow on the 12" chilled water lines, you would control the flow on the 3/4" line that you are adding. As far as how big of a pipe can you "hot tap" into, bigger the better.

I have done six inch taps into eighteen inch risers. what you got dere aint no thang

The problem I have is that I don't know the pressure on those large chilled water lines and if I'll need to do anything to bring it down for a ~5-ton fan coil I'm adding nearby.

But what's the worst that could happen, right??

not knowing the pressure isnt that big of a deal. just estimate static pressure based upon the height of the building and add a factro to that. 500 foot high building , roughly 250 in the basement then add floors. cmon this aint that hard. once rough pressure is known you can order fittings accordingly.

Well, this isn't a riser. It's a chilled water main for 5 buildings from the plant. We'll prolly go with a split system anyway, since now the scope has changed (doesn't it always?).

I think I'd hot tap like a 2" line on that way they have some future capability wont have to do it again if you only do a 3/4" maybe even get a few extra bux out of them for it

Turns out its 10" chilled water supply & return lines. Plus they only serve 1 building.

We're proposing a 1-1/2" line for about 60' run for future capacity... we'll know today if they want to buy the bigger pipe & insulation.

I would be concerned about pressure, had a job that was engineered on the west coast, job was on the east cost, engineer never seen the building just a blue print showing the retail space and apparently didnt realize the building was 30 storys high and the cooling tower was on the roof. He couldnt understand why the 1 hp pump wouldnt move water through the WSHP's