Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

90% condensate removal ideas please.

Hey all. I have a lady with a fairly large enclosed porch who wants to replace a Dynavent before she can't get parts. I found a similar heater by Cozy but am a bit nervous because the Major "G'" distributor is dropping the line. I am considering offering her a better solution. I can easily install a small 90% upflow and she will have the option of adding air in the future.

Here's the issue. I have no place indoors to get rid of the condensate in winter and have freeze up issues perhaps if I gravity drain it out the sidewall. Maybe some of you have come up with a workaround to this? No I can not condensate pump it to some area in the home. Maybe some of you folks in areas where the furnaces are often located in a sealed room in the garage have come up with a solution?

Thanks to our ever invasive govt and the 5/1/13 mandate something is going to have to be thought of. FYI I did drain one in a garage once into one of those heated condensate pans. The house was sold shortly after and torn down so I have no idea how well it worked though.

So a mid efficient furnace isn't an option then I take it?
    It might sound hack-ish, but can you run a condensate line with a heat strip and insulation attached to outdoors?

Quote Originally Posted by syndicated View Post
    So a mid efficient furnace isn't an option then I take it?
    It might sound hack-ish, but can you run a condensate line with a heat strip and insulation attached to outdoors?
    Heat strip may be the way to go but rats I just thought of another problem. This is on the second floor and obviously I can't risk piping that drain all the way down to the ground. I wonder if that mildly acidic condensate would do anything to aluminum siding.

No, venting an 80 into Bvent is not looking like an option.

You would be very surprised what that condensate will do. Hell, it eats carrier heat exchangers! Lol
    I don't think evaporating it off is gonna be an option. In my climate (colder than yours) a condensing furnace can make as much as 4-5 gallons of water in 24 hours. Not to mention the giant icicle on the ground....
    If you're on the 2nd floor can you tie into a plumbing drain, or does your jurisdiction require the condensate to be neutralized before hitting municipal drains?

run a 1" pvc pipe outside, tie the furnace condensate into a pump. shove the vinyl down the pipe. the pump will shoot it thru the pipe. i have never had it freeze up this way. you can run vinyl outside too. just remove the check valve in the pump. this will allow no water to stay in the vinyl which would freeze.

self regulating heat trace like dem refrigidation boys use in those freezers.

build condensate neutralizer out of pvc

Put a tee under a sink before the trap. Thats why i do carpentry too so i can open walls and sheetrock. Makes me more money.

http://www.condensate-neutralizer.com/

You can buy them like this or as Flange said make your own if your AHJ will allow it.

That's a good question about the condensate reacting with aluminum. I was thinking a heated drain pan might be the way to go, as it would act as a humidifier at the same time, but I don't know how bad the acid would beat it up. Supco makes some pretty big heated drain pans that I'm sure could handle it. Also, I'm pretty sure their bigger pans are stainless instead of aluminum, now that I think about it.

run the pump line to the washer standpipe.
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

drill a hole in the concrete, put in pipe. backfill with gravel, water plug/silicone hole.

Unless she has a high water table.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Quote Originally Posted by gravity View Post
    run a 1" pvc pipe outside, tie the furnace condensate into a pump. shove the vinyl down the pipe. the pump will shoot it thru the pipe. i have never had it freeze up this way. you can run vinyl outside too. just remove the check valve in the pump. this will allow no water to stay in the vinyl which would freeze.
    This sounds doable. It should pump out far enough so that it does not run down the house and if I yank the check and exit higher than the pump any water left will siphon back into the pump or at least into the heated space.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast