Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    A scroll starts unloaded.

So I don't think its that alone causing problems.

FIRST OF ALL you need to make sure the system is equalized before you are turning it on and off....

Def. sound like an installer with all this talk of locked rotor amps etc.

if it was pumped down to 300 microns I don't think LRA would be a problem.. UNLESS you are not allowing a delay.

At this point I would suggest a hard start and crossing your fingers..

Since your out in the field dealing with some old r22 lineset, you need to follow your heart...

good luck...

No text book can explain your situation...

the only problem is the fast intermittent starts. eliminate this rapid recycle and problem is gone

i do however suggest a 5-2-1 hard start and a time delay

Quote Originally Posted by SBKold View Post
    A scroll starts unloaded.
    It takes a minute or two to for it to equalize.

Quote Originally Posted by hvacrmedic View Post
    It takes a minute or two to for it to equalize.
    Hmmm. I have never ever witnessed a scroll not start up within seconds with no addl start components.

Scrolls have check valves in the discharge to keep them from spinning backwards like the old Carlyle carrier scrolls( the green ones) when they shut off. Put a hard start on it and remove the exceeds refrigerant. York Trane carrier Ducane, pretty much all condensers except goodman have time delay built into defrost control board. Apparently yours does not but hard start will roll that compressor over even under loaded startups.

I have a stupid question....did the Luxaire call for the same size line set as the Lennox?

Adding that much is scary. What is it - .6 ounces a foot above 15'? Yea, that sounds like 110' lineset.

I read something about blockages (air locked or something like that) in the microchannel coil. Eventually it will likely knock loose and you'll be taking a lot of that 3.5 pounds back out. We had a few Nordynes do that. Took a lot on startup but soon after, even a couple months after, the full charge presents itself. If that sucker has a HP switch, it will open in seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by SBKold View Post
    Hmmm. I have never ever witnessed a scroll not start up within seconds with no addl start components.
    That may be true. I can't say that I've run that test. I read somewhere that Copeland calls for a minimum 2 minute time delay on break. Maybe I assumed that this meant that equalization could take longer than a few seconds in some cases.

Quote Originally Posted by nismo1 View Post
    Scrolls have check valves in the discharge to keep them from spinning backwards like the old Carlyle carrier scrolls( the green ones) when they shut off. Put a hard start on it and remove the exceeds refrigerant. York Trane carrier Ducane, pretty much all condensers except goodman have time delay built into defrost control board. Apparently yours does not but hard start will roll that compressor over even under loaded startups.
    I don't see where the OP said this is a heat pump.

I think he may be mistaken on what compressor is in the unit, and its a recip, not a scroll. York/Luxaire uses recips in a lot of their lower lines.

Even in the York LX series, the YCJD uses a recip, the YCJF uses a scroll, but the condensers look the same.

Using the largest listed matching coil/air handler, which takes 8 oz of additional charge, a YCJD uses .62 oz per foot over 15, so his additional length would need to be 77.5(total lines set length of 92.5 foot) foot to need 3 pounds.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Recently, install crew added a txv to a lennok coil that would supposedly bring the SEER rating up from 14 to 16. After install, i get called out for servvice and the unit is pulling LRA. (Lennox by the way). Scroll compressor. I added a hard start to the unit, and have not been called back this summer. That was in June.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12