Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

CVHF motor failure

Recently had a 6 yr old cvhf lose motor.This was second time.First was during storm 30 days out of warranty and trane stated transition timer failed.They did replacement to the tune of 48000 and now another failure.Legs 2 and 5 less tha 1 meg ohm out of the blue it tripped shunt and gfi.
    Have had other failures and spoke to local techs who also have seen multiple failures on newer 123 machines.Any open comments,service bulletins ??
    Looking at the failed rebiult motor it doesnt look dipped and baked??
    Would you go with a motor shop rebiuld or trane remanufacture? Have used motor shop in past with no problem, however ,just looking for opinions based on experience.
    price difference is significant over 10000.
    cant make this crap up

Gonna throw this out there as a "maybe"...

I have a CVHF with an AFD and it megs good, even had it surge tested and it passed, the drive shunt trips very intermittently and without any fault codes. Trane and the AFD manufacturer want to replace the input and output boards (which have taken months to get) But I am betting on a bad spot in the windings...

I will be watching this thread. I would say rebuilding would be a solid option if you have a good motor shop.

GT
    If a day goes by and you have learned nothing, I hope you got a lot of sleep.

Have had a few motors go on cvhe's haven't worked on to many cvhf's.

We get motors overhauled by shop that predominately does heavy equip, mining and process plant.

Havent had any dramas.

This will be a touchy subject though.

have done a couple cvhe s and cvhf s and all times we used independent motor shops never have had a problem. just meg it before it goes back on ...

We also use an independent motor shop, however , choice is given to the customer, with the price difference
    \m/
    original member of the racoon brotherhood

Swinging both ways

I have used Trane Service First for CVHA's,CVHE's, CVHB's CVHF's. I have also used a couple of independent motor rebuilders. I have never had an issue with Trane and at their prices I better not. The independents not so much as I demand that I be able to witness the motor test run after the rebuild. I want the oil lines connected and sufficient load on the motor to guarantee performance on the job. Several times because of managerial priorities this hasn't happened and guess what ? Those were the problem ones, wrong rotation and current imbalance being the major factors, who would have ever seen that one coming.-GEO
    Once in a while everything falls into place and I am able to move forward, most of the time it just falls all over the place and I can't go anywhere-GEO

ga1279., pretty good advice., if i ever have to do a c/o on cvh , i will demand to c motor run under load.,
    no signature blast'em man blast'em
    !!!KILL THE TERRORIST!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jerseydevil View Post
    ...price difference is significant over 10000.
    not much you can do to find out why trane is so much more expensive...but on the onther hand...why is the motor shop so much cheaper?

if you knew that a competitor was 10k cheaper than you on an overhaul...wouldn't you question what they were leaving out?

we had a quote for a motor shop rebuild once. when we asked them if it was guaranteed for R123...they said 'no'. nice light-bulb moment.

i am not against motor rebuild shops...i am sure there are many out there that are worth way more than they charge...but will they pay you for a complete rebuild if the motor fails 10 minutes after start up? or will they only pay for a replacement motor after you bring it to them?
    "If you pull one more stunt like you just pulled with Tommy, you won't have to get on a plane because I will personally kick your ass from here to Korea!" - Best of the Best

I think I'd take a stronger look at what might be causing you to lose the motors. What type of application is this on? Commercial comfort, Industrial plant, Process? Curious on whether or not they generate their own power, back-up generators, incoming main etc. 2 motors on 6 yr. old chiller don't sound like a motor problem. Once ,ok maybe, twice something is wrong. If you use an independent shop, I'd use somebody with good reputation. I like to send my motors to Xcel hermetic in NC. Hope this can help.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis.

I am a big cvhe and f fan, i work on them a lot, and id always go with a new motor from trane. I have a had several failures in the past but they were due to the engineers keep reseting them when they go out on E2 alarm( transition failure) and they just kept reseting the machine, and a few motors due to having a unqualified tech/ not knowing what the they were doing and messing with crap. ( jumping out aux contacts ) ive seen it several times , and always meg any motor before it goes in.

cvhf motor failure

agree with txhvac, excell hermetic motors in wadesboro,nc, ask for Cecil, you
    will not be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by turbovac View Post
    agree with txhvac, excell hermetic motors in wadesboro,nc, ask for Cecil, you
    will not be disappointed.
    He pretty much still is Trane, considering he started that Service First motor shop in NC.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis.

[QUOTE=turbovac;8299371]agree with txhvac, excell hermetic motors in wadesboro,nc, ask for Cecil, you
    will not be disappointed

Turbo- be right on about Excell Hermetics.
    Cecil has done several Tranes for us as well as as a few Frankenstein Carriers
    (19EX). I was nervous at first using a small shop such as his but his work has proved to be top notch in my opinion.
    Ain't "None" of us as smart as "All" of us..

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast