Thread: Furnace Replacement help

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Likes

Furnace Replacement help

Hello,

765 sf condo, 3 rooms with supply air. Gas. One exterior wall. Fireplace. 1st floor furnace in closet current furnace is 50k/75k input and takes a 14"x25"x1" filter. Central air. AC unit Rheem Classic Series 2005; RAKB-024JAZ. Ceiling ducts.

80% efficient. 95% poses some installations concerns with venting. Ground floor unit with concrete slab on grade with another resident above me.

I have estimates to install the below units from local contractors:

Carrier Infinity 80 (58CVA070)
    Rheem Prestige Series™ Super Quiet 80 RGPE-05EBMKR
    Lennox Merit High Efficiency Blower (ML180UH045E36A)
    Armstrong Air (A80UH1E045A12)
    York LX Series Model: TG8S040

I am very confused as to what is the best one for my home. The furnace will be installed in a very small closet between my living and dining rooms. My primary concern is noise and requestd pricing for queter units. I didn't request pricing for the York but the cost to install is nearly $ less than the Carrier. What unit should I select for my home? Please help me decide. Thank you!!!
    Last edited by beenthere; 09-10-2012 at 05:28 AM. Reason: price

Post Likes
    70,000 btu furnace for 700 sq ft condo sounds NUTS.

Rheem's 80s have the solid front so usually will prove the quietest. The RGPE with 2 stage thermostat or the matching communicating control would be a nice system.

The Lennox and Armstrong furnaces are similar, single stage with conventional motor. York too, it's a low end builder model. They aren't in the same league as the CVA or RPGE.

Post Likes
    Mabey a heat pump with a 5 kw supplemental heat strip

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by catmanacman View Post
    Mabey a heat pump with a 5 kw supplemental heat strip
    Or inverter driven mini splits. Zone control and 1/2 the energy bill.

Get rid of gas meter and save $15-20 mo just for meter charge.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tedkidd View Post
    Or inverter driven mini splits. Zone control and 1/2 the energy bill.

Get rid of gas meter and save $15-20 mo just for meter charge.
    This is a VERY valid point for low load homes. In our area the meter fee is $27/mo !!!

Post Likes
    For a closet install the blower is what will create the most noise since the blower is typically "unshielded" from the return grille. heat pump, or hydronic heat that runs off a gas water heater would be quieter. First company makes hydroair units.
    http://www.firstco.com/products/aqua_therm.asp

Post Likes
    Thank you for your replies.

A hydroair unit is not an option. The hot water heaters are in a central area of the building. Currently there is no plumbing near the furnace.

I am open to other options if the models that the contractors provided are not viable options. I am concerned the Carrier two stage furnace is oversized for my home. The Lennox contractor advised against them.

Post Likes
    I agree the carrier is too big. But 2 stage is a nice feature.
    I would ask the Lennox guy why he didn't quote you a G60V
    Go with a furnace with a variable speed blower, they tend to be quieter than a PSC blower.
    Also, look into the warranty offered on all those models. You might pay a touch more, but I guarantee it'll be cheaper than a repair!

Post Likes
    45k is plenty of heat, i wouldnt buy any bigger than that.

Post Likes
    I like the York furnace or you could go up to the Tm9v furnace. I also like the idea of a heat pump

Post Likes
    I had the contractor for Carrier submit a quote for a lower BTU model. He did for model 58STA045 and called Comfort 80. On the Carrier website it's referred to as Base 80. Is there any difference between this model and Comfort 80 58DLA or 58DLX models? I don't see one. I am leaning towards Carrier for the Quiet Tech Noise Reduction System.

I also looked at Lennox G50 models but the reviews seem to be poor.

Thoughts??? I am hoping to make a decision this week. The nights are getting colder.

Thank you so much for your assistance!!

Post Likes
    So you didn't explore the heat pump or mini split heat pump, yet you are asking for thoughts? On what, manufacturer?

If you are buying a cheap ford or a cheap Chevy, think there is significant difference?

45,000 is likely x2 the output you'll need ON THE COLDEST DAY. So on an AVERAGE day it's oversized bu a factor of 3-5x. Installing a gas furnace, from the information you've provided, could be big missed opportunity and long term a regretted, costly mistake. Your energy bills and comfort will tell.

I have 1800 sf mobile homes, not only no protection from cold on either side, but no protection underneath, that heat with 40,000 btu, un upstate NY.

You could put in electric baseboard and the bills would be less under the mismatched conditions you describe.

Post Likes
    Thank you for your input. I researched the heat pumps and was told that my 5 year old AC unit would be tossed along with the 30 year old furnace. The install cost would be nearly 1.5 to 2 times the cost of replacing the current furnace with something similar. I don't have the funds at this time for a rehall of the entire HVAC system.

On a side note - My heating costs have been very low with a 30 year old furnace. I have only one exterior wall and a unit above me. No basement - Slab on grade. I've been told a newer 80% furnace will be more energy efficient than what I have now.

Post Likes
    oops overhaul of the entire HVAC system.

Post Likes
    Yeah, that makes for a tough spot. An example of why people should NEVER buy straight AC.

Unfortunately very few sales people are willing or able to explain why you might want to spend a few bucks more for a heat pump (one valve and an accumulator are the basic difference).

Your house is so small you could go with an "electric furnace", then when the outdoor unit goes your all set for a heat pump. Probably be cheaper than a new low efficiency gas furnace, and the monthly meter fee savings would likely be more than the increased cost of energy source.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in