Anyone plugged a tube on a fire tube boiler

I have a fire tube boiler with one tube leaking. Boiler inspector noticed.The boilers are over 30 yrs old and are going to be replaced next year.I have a concern with plugging. If water enters the tube and the leak seals, the water could steam in that tube. Steam pressure could cause major failure. It is hot water and not steam. Typically the water is 180 deg. Should be no steam.I am going to site tomorrow to evaluate.

Replace the tube. You will have to check with your AHJ, but I believe plugging is a temporary repair. Temporary repairs are usually only allowed for 30 to 90 days, depending on your local laws and rules.

2 piece ring and pin plug or
    Use allthread through the entire tube.
    Just remember it will eventually fill completely with water and be under the same pressure as the boiler.

assuming low pressure steam, tapered plug bashed into each end, it will be fine. pressure will come into tube as steam or water. is it above or below water line?

Is bashed an official term????

Quote Originally Posted by flange View Post
    assuming low pressure steam, tapered plug dbashed into each end, it will be fine. pressure will come into tube as steam or water. is it above or below water line?

Quote Originally Posted by supertek65 View Post
    Is bashed an official term????
    Bashed is to hit it with a hammer... Mash is what operators do to push buttons on control panels. Both are acceptable in the south!

CT