Question Trane or Am Std with Benchmark Coil ?

Hi Folks: First of all i would like to thank the Pros who have provided advice. I have learned a lot. I will be replacing my 30 year old furnace/AC system. Got quotes from reputable and authorized dealers (all NATE certified). I have narowed my decission between these two 3 Ton systems:

Trane auth. Dealer proposal - XL20i Compressor 18Seer (4TTZ0036A1000A), XC80 Variable Speed Furnace (TUD2C080ACV42A), Trane Coil (4TXCC0007CC3CHA), Trane XL900 Thermostat.

American Standard Dealer proposal - Am Std. Condenser 18Seer (4A7Z0036), Am Std Variable Speed Furnace 80k BTU (AUD2C080ACV42A), Benchmark Coil (4X0H401100), Venstar ColorTouch Thermostat.

I understand that both the compressor and furnace are made by the same company. The Am Std dealer recommended Benchmark coils because Trane coils have been known for failure.

What are your thoughts on these configurations? Pricing is a little less on the Am Std. It seems a little odd that the Am Std dealer is mixing his components (thermostat and Coils) unless his margins are bigger or there is some truth to Trane coils failing. The Trane proposal is for a closet but I now want to move it into the Attic. Am Std is for attic install.

It's driving me crazy...Help!
    Last edited by tikimaka; 09-08-2012 at 01:05 AM.

Trane all aluminum coils are holding up very well .i would want the trane /american std coil also would want The xl 900 or the xl950 thrermostat . The 900 and 950 are communicating and have some nice features .if you are not using the trane thermostat then i would not use the xc furnace i would save some money and use the xv furnace because you wont get the features with a 2 stage thermostat. Iwould take the Trane set up . Also make sure you get the 10 year part and labor warranty
    We really need change now

I wouldn't want a Benchmark coil over a Trane by any means. As cat says, the new coils are doing fine. Also, 3rd party coils aren't tested together just computer simulated so no idea if you are really getting the SEER and capacity you think you are, especially critical in high end systems.

Thank you.

I have had two failures on t
    he new trane coils since 2006 and one was operator induced. They are very dependable in my opinion.

I prefer an all Trane or American Std system but was concerned about Trane coil failures. I also read a lot of complaints on other HVAC consumer forums about their coils but i suspect these may be the older models or were improperly installed. Thanks.

The Old style copper tube coils would leak sometimes but they was still a better coil than bench mark in my own opinion.all ac manufactures copper tube coils were prone to leak that is the reason that most manufactures are doin different things to stop coil leaks . Get the Trane coil and the part and labor warranty ,

I'm confused as to why the American Standard dealer is quoting a 24v control thermostat with communicating equipment, and an inferior quality coil.

The American Standard AccuLink Platinum ZV Control(aka. XL950) will take advantage of all of the available features of the equipment, and the web portal for controlling it via the internet is now free.
    http://www.americanstandardair.com/p....aspx?prod=C07
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    I'm confused as to why the American Standard dealer is quoting a 24v control thermostat with communicating equipment, and an inferior quality coil.

The American Standard AccuLink Platinum ZV Control(aka. XL950) will take advantage of all of the available features of the equipment, and the web portal for controlling it via the internet is now free.
    http://www.americanstandardair.com/p....aspx?prod=C07
    I wondered about that too? He mentioned that the XL950 required a monthly charge so he recommended the Venstar. I tried to look everywhere on Benchmark coil reviews but all i could find was not to use aftermarket coils for these kind of systems. His cost was substantially lower -- i know why.

The other Trane dealer (all Trane system set-up) listed the XL900 thermostat. Is this an appropriate thermostat for the following equipment?

XL20i Compressor 18Seer (4TTZ0036A1000A),
    XC80 Variable Speed Furnace (TUD2C080ACV42A),
    Trane Coil (4TXCC0007CC3CHA)

I can do without the XL950 with the fancy wi-fi functionality. Is the XL900 compatible?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tjune54 View Post
    I have had two failures on t
    he new trane coils since 2006 and one was operator induced. They are very dependable in my opinion.
    Pardon this noobs questions but what it is an operator induced problem? Not replacing the filters regularly thus coil failure?

Quote Originally Posted by tikimaka View Post
    He mentioned that the XL950 required a monthly charge so he recommended the Venstar.
    It did when it was through the Schlage Link, but when it changed to Nexia Home Solutions, they changed to only charging the monthly fee if you are using other home automation functions.

Is the XL900 compatible?
    Yes.
    http://www.americanstandardair.com/p....aspx?prod=c01
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

You can do with outthe xl 950 although they are sweet

Thanks to all the Pros for your advice and suggestions. I truly appreciate it!