+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TXV Question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Likes

TXV Question

Just curious on the newer style TXV"s and coils. If you use the internal port on the inside coil to connect the braze-less TXV, do you remove the schrader or can you leave it in? I ask this because I've always brazed the included extensions and they never came with schraders installed. Logically the internal sensor block would keep it depressed and take readings just fine, but we all know manufactures never seem to build equipment well thinking logically; lol.!

Post Likes
    are you talking about an external equalizer line? if it has a shraider depressor in it then you can leave the shraider in. i always take them out.

Post Likes
    No, on the newer internal coils they have a port inside the case, I hear it's used for the factory to pressurize them with nitrogen. I've always purchased the braze style TXV, for residential heat-pump/fossil furnace setups 13seer and over. I got a newer screw on style TXV today and I left the schrader in, now I'm nervous it may cause issues with the TXV later on. It cycled fine and pressures were good. It was to cold outside to trim the superheat and get good head pressure readings. I've never had to adjust any factory matched set before so I let them used the system until I can come back on a warmer day. Now I'm slightly worried about the TXV, and I really don't want to pump it down again.

Post Likes
    a indoor evaporator coil? well if it doesn;t have a shraider depressor in it then you will starve your evaporator coil. you will have really high superheat.

Post Likes
    Should be fine,,,,,,,,no worries.

Post Likes
    ok, so you are saying the valves I am dealing with are internally equalized? If so what does the bleed port do?

Post Likes
    I dont know what kind of valve your working on. Is there a 1/4" tube you braze into the suction line? IF so the Valve is externally equalized.
    The bleed port is a hole in the valve that allows refrigerant to bypass the valve in the off cycle.
    Did you start reading on Sporlan's site yet? Bulletin 10-9 and 10-10 will answer your questions. Take the time to read and understand them. If you need help ask the question. We will help.
    Gotta have the right tool for the job!

Where is all the stuff MADE IN THE USA?

"Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

Post Likes
    The valve that I am talking about replaced a valve that had a very small tube brazed into the suction line, that I thought was the external equalizer, and was replaced with a valve that had the same tube with a female flare and came with a 90 degree short piece of suction tube with the male threaded flare connection for, what I thought was the new equalization tube.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by millertime77 View Post
    The valve that I am talking about replaced a valve that had a very small tube brazed into the suction line, that I thought was the external equalizer, and was replaced with a valve that had the same tube with a female flare and came with a 90 degree short piece of suction tube with the male threaded flare connection for, what I thought was the new equalization tube.
    That is the external eq line. But it doesn't dump refrigerant from the high side to the low side during the off cycle. A bleed valve does that instead. Did you read the PDF?

Post Likes
    ok, so you are saying the valves I am dealing with are internally equalized? If so what does the bleed port do?
    internal eq. valves are found on small evaps such as reach-in coolers with little pressure drop!!! Here's a pdf from parker thats a little better than the one i posted earlier. http://www.parker.com/literature/Aft...V%20Theory.pdf

Post Likes
    I've never seen one with a valve core depressor on it so I always take the valve stem out. All the York's don't have a stem in it it comes with the outdoor unit packaged with the piston

Post Likes
    Yeah, if you don't pull the schrader........you're gonna have a bad time!

Post Likes
    I think he is referring to a situation such as a goodman Evap. When you install the external txv and they send you stubs, he is referring to using the Schrader factory installed on the suction line of the unit. The flare connection has a depressor on the end.

Post Likes
    The case coils that trane sends us, has a Schrader core in it. if you attach the equalizer tube to the port and leave the Schrader core in it WILL mess with the operation of the valve. if you observe the fitting of that equalizer tube it has no mechanism to depress that Schrader core. I have fallin victim to its ways from time to time.. what i am saying is that you have to remove it if there is a trane TXV in place.
    ®

Post Likes
    I wouldnt leave a valve core in for something like that because anytime it would need to be taken off the system will be empty of gas anyways. If not and for some reason the system is slow to equalize, you will wind up with compressor starting issues if the cycles are close together, sometimes even when they arent. Not as much if you have start componants but why go thru the hassle. Take out the core.
    l8r

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dachipsta View Post
    I wouldnt leave a valve core in for something like that because anytime it would need to be taken off the system will be empty of gas anyways. If not and for some reason the system is slow to equalize, you will wind up with compressor starting issues if the cycles are close together, sometimes even when they arent. Not as much if you have start componants but why go thru the hassle. Take out the core.
    understand that its all based on what the equipment manufacture designed it for. Trane heatpump air handler coils come with the core in but you must remove it before you install the TXV. the equalizer cap tube with the flare end, is not equipped with a depressor. if you leave the core in and install the TXV and start the unit it will not equalize the TXV in respect to the evap coil causing problems with the performance of the TXV and overall system. I would follow the manufactures instructions. every one is different.
    ®

Post Likes
    The external equalizers purpose is to, obviously, equalize pressure, so the compressor doesnt need a lot of amperage during start-up. If you have a valve core in the equalizer connection to the suction line this process will slow down and you will end up installing a hard start kit. Every expansion valve I have ever installed comes with a male threaded flare fitting on the 90 degree suction tube portion with no shrader in it, and no depreesor on the female flare fitting on the equalizer tube from the valve. The shrader should be removed if your valve has one.

Post Likes
    The external equalizers purpose is to, obviously, equalize pressure, so the compressor doesnt need a lot of amperage during start-up.
    http://www.emersonclimate.com/Docume...re-article.pdf

Post Likes
    Mojo, If you hooked the 1/4" external equalizer line to a flare port with a schrader you need to go back and remedy your mistake. We all make mistakes and that is not a problem. However you need to step up and do what is right. Im glad to see you came here and asked the question. Good job.

"Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

Post Likes
    The external equalizers purpose is to, obviously, equalize pressure, so the compressor doesnt need a lot of amperage during start-up. If you have a valve core in the equalizer connection to the suction line this process will slow down and you will end up installing a hard start kit. Every expansion valve I have ever installed comes with a male threaded flare fitting on the 90 degree suction tube portion with no shrader in it, and no depreesor on the female flare fitting on the equalizer tube from the valve. The shrader should be removed if your valve has one.
    That is incorrect. You should read up on the operation of the TEV...
    Sporlans website has a lot of good info. THey changed it, Im having a hard time posting the link.
    Last edited by Pascone10; 09-08-2012 at 11:04 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in