Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mystery leak

Yes malcor I have had leaks in the piping in the drip pan but this particular unit isn't designed that way. I agree with you that it becomes a matter of cost effectiveness that's why I condemned it to the junkyard. It's more than paid for itself anyway. I just hate not knowing the answer to something.

Yeah hydra I get where you are going with the corrosion issue and it can drive a guy nuts. Gotta stay with it and use some R-22 in my experience. I have had leaks on discharge line elbows that are cracked but only traceable by driving head way up till the pressure and heat start to seep out the crack. Usually on bends made without fittings as the copper becomes thinner as it is bent. But you def look like you put your time in.

More pressure wit da nitro.....usually works for me

Hydra,

you are very dillegent and you are fighting the good fight. Malcor has some good tips and it has happened to me with r134a leaks as well. i have seen such small leaks on chiller condensers that it is leaving new oil behind as it leaks and still too evasive to pick up on an h10

crank up the pressure

junk it!

My detector will give a false reading if there is too much moisture ie condensate pan, or if I get my hand too close shielding the tip. Isolate the components and pressure up to operating pressures.

I've had leaks that made the detector go off, but soap solution wouldn't show.

Quote Originally Posted by baub View Post
    Please go into a little more detail on this. Do you mean the sensing tube, or do you actually mean the wiring?

Just thought of another possibility- was it a unitary non-adjustable control?
    Yes it was a encapsulated low pressure switch. Brand new unit was flat on arrival when i went to do the start up. Leak checked everything a dozen times, was about to cut unit into sections when I disconnected the wires and they went into puddle of water and when I seen the bubbles I felt I had hit the lottery.

wow....ill remember that on my next leak checks.

Ive add three units that has a leak at the lpc control.. One was a Adjustable Rance, one a Adjustable Dual Johnson control, and one was a Fixed switch.
    You can't kiss death without it kissing you back. Death is a passionate kisser.

I know I will get flamed for this admission but for small leaks I have been using nu-cal leak seal. Quick, easy, inexpensive and effective.

I had really good look this summer using the remaining refrigerant (if any) and nitrogen and electronic leak detector and soap bubbles. You can't be lazy and have to be patient.

Quote Originally Posted by drife678 View Post
    I had really good look this summer using the remaining refrigerant (if any) and nitrogen and electronic leak detector and soap bubbles. You can't be lazy and have to be patient.
    That's typically how I do it as well. Gutted the entire refrigeration system and spent about 4 hours searching, so impatient and lazy are not in my vocabulary.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast