Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Guy gets his first job as a pipe runner, he wants to be a service tech, 10 years later he is still a pipe runner with a license wondering why nobody will hire him as a service tech. Distinguish where you want to be early, resi, commercial, installer, service. Very important, if you want to be a commercial service tech dont waste too much time doing residential gas piping.

Don't leave disconnects off.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

Don't lower your standards
    Always take pride in your work

A huge one that came to mind...

Safety, safety, safety.

The younger guys take some stupid risks trying to get a job done on time. NEVER risk your health and safety for a job, ever.

You have one chance at life.

I cringe at the stupid things I have done trying to make a name as a good, efficient service tech. I was a complete idiot that thankful never got seriously hurt.

ALWAYS be safe, don't be afraid to say no. Some contractors will take advantage of you being young and naive, don't allow that to happen.

Everyone goes home. 1*

Dont get into a pissing contest with the mechanic you ride with if you think he is doing something wrong or with improper technique keep it to yourself and when you get your own truck then you can do it right or the way you think it should be done. Not to many guys enjoy the new kid fresh outta school telling them how they are wrong.

I have a few everyone I think hasn't said yet.

Leave the cell phone in the truck. Phone calls and texts are annoying to the person you are with and cause you to lose focus.

Shut your yap and listen.

If you want to argue with me, that's fine I enjoy a good argument.

As zw said, safety is key. Think about what you are doing. I hope my guy Roger sees this and will comment on what it's like from being on the other side. He rode with me for 3 months and was able to get hired on in an entry level position.

wow you guys rock

thanks for all the advice

Carry the tools,remember you know nothing, close the book,dont ask too many questions, stop trying to prove yourself so hard,where are the coffee and donuts?

Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    Don't leave disconnects off.
    If youre a tech, make sure the unit is running when you leave. Ive been on a lot of calls where the gas valve on/off switch was switched to off. Our other inexperienced tech was just there yesterday, and did a clean and tune. I know the customer didnt turn it off as they cant even make it down the stairs. Same tech left a combustion analyzer hole unpugged so co could piss into the space. The moral of the story pay attention to details, they are everything.

If you're going to do this for 40 years do yourself a favour. Read up on what you saw today.
    ENJOY THE RIDE

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    The single biggest mistake that you can make is to NOT learn from your mistakes.
    Figured I would reply with quote just so you had to read this one twice!!! VERY IMPORTANT! 100% agree JP
    MOST bosses wont get too mad if you make a mistake... Do it again, you'll know about it!

Quote Originally Posted by SBres22 View Post

Figured I would reply with quote just so you had to read this one twice!!! VERY IMPORTANT! 100% agree JP
    MOST bosses wont get too mad if you make a mistake... Do it again, you'll know about it!
    That is because the second time, it isn't a mistake.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast