Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Top mistakes a new guy makes

What are the top mistakes a new guy breaking into the field can make? how if at all can they be avoided?

any advice is not only appreciated but will help shape my career.

I am going through the same thing I would like to hear some of these answers I have been looking and even been looking for employment out of state where I currently reside. I am starting to loose hope like I have wasted this money loan people are asking when I am I going to pay back this hefty loan for A career I thought was booming. Everyone I talk to says it is going to get easier when the economy picks back up but I can't wait for that I got bills to pay

I'm in Nanaimo where are you located gelliott2003

I am in Alabama but Hvac companies are so oversaturated here trying to relocate to GA or FL

They get tied up with a hack company as their first gig and stick with that company for years thinking the trade is all the same. They pick up dirty work habits, become sales techs because that's what they were trained for, and never excel at the real meat of the trade, education and troubleshooting experience.

I see a lot of guys get caught up in that vicious circle.
    UA LU189

10mm, because it's better than .45acp

So if the job doesn't seem like a good fit don't be afraid to look elsewhere. Always do the job right the 1st time/ be proud of your work. Live in the growth zone always taking on new things and learning new things.

zw17 do you prefer a green guy to have some of his own hand tools? if so what are the best choices for a new guy to bring.

I started a 9 month HVAC/R course this week and will be riding with a mechanic every Friday starting next week

Then the thing I keep hearing is that I need to get more experience, I am like duh that is what I am here for I want to do this It is not like I am doing this because of the job at hand I like fixing problems when they need to be solved.

gelliott2003 can you ask a company to shadow with them to gain more experience? try to keep the attitude that they are giving you their time (I know you need to eat, so maybe do it in between jobs) maybe it might lead to something. I haven't worked in the trade yet but I know most company's value a person who is motivated to learn.

I have been doing that with a the maintenance tech at the apartment that I stay in he lets me tag along sometimes i even went as far as helping him install a unit. He was impressed with my knowledge and what I knew how to do. It was a great feeling knowing that the education has paid off and paying attention in class. I am still remaining focus I have still been plugging away of trying to get hired with somebody I am a fighter not a Quitter.

If you're going to do this for 40 years do yourself a favour. Read up on what you saw today.
    ENJOY THE RIDE

I have even had some guys get snooty with me to see if I could ride along with them as if they were never in my shoes before. lol

Pay attention to your surroundings. Watch the weather and plan for it. You don't have to go overkill on a tool bag and tools.

Keep a clean driving record , keep your appearance clean cut , don't go nuts on tools and gimmicks , NEVER forget the basics .

Try to avoid ,as mentioned , getting in a rut with a hack shop
    mikeacman

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast