Hmm

hey everyone, its been awhile but eveyrthing been ok for me..ive been working for a supplier out in chicago,il on the north side. and the work is ok just warehouse stuff, getting supplies and equipment hvac contractors some private an some big companies..at times i get bored cuz its just warehouse stuff that i do, and all i think about the field work and wanting to learn both service and install..but i cant risk $13/hr. i know most companies wont give that to someone with months of experience..i wanted to know if there are companies that will allow me to work weekends or in other words tag along to do an install or service call. i re-took my res.heating class and im catched up on my troublshooting for furnace season.how can i bring up a conversation to a contractor? any suggestions would be help full,thanks

How about this get in with one of the regulars and find out who's on call or working the weekends and show up at the house on Saturday mornings and tell them so and so sent ya. Either that or show up at a shop that is open on Saturdays and see who needs help if they send you away show back up next Saturday. Persistence pays off. If you want in bad enough hound hound hound.

Thats how I got my first job, except I was a little hungrier than you. I didn't have a job and I needed one after one solid week of me hounding the owner of the company I finally got my foot in the door.

Working in the Chicago area I could see maybe taking a pay cut if you are making 13 an hour in a ware house and then going to a green hand position, but if your sharp enough and with persistence you ought to be back up to that in your first year.

Once you make it past that trial period usually 90 days you as an employee have every right to ask for more, because if the company didn't like you, you wouldn't be working there.

One more thing to put in your bag of tricks after 90 days and once you have taken a pay cut to start, you could always mention that your are being paid less to do harder work that what you were being paid in a warehouse.

All this is just stuff to get you in the door and negotiate wages, but one thing to remember as you start by god you better make sure you are personable and turn heads and if that means running to van to get the lead guy a duct stretcher and running back then ya better do it.

i am also from chicago but moved down here to charltte nc. about six years ago. if you ever want out of the cold look at us. http://www.morrisjenkins.com . we hire green at around 12/hr plus com. and you work your way up through our own in house schooling. top notch techs can do 80k.

hey masair you know a guy named Buckalew down there?

cw0682

yea man i know Buck. we are both supervisors, workwith him everyday.

drink lots of beer with him too.......after hours of course

Well you tell him Craig from WV said he couldn't win an arm wrestling match with a a 5 year old girl. And that I also said he couldn't fix a tuna sandwich.

you know that will just kill him dont you..............ill do it!!!

Tell him he couldn't box his way out of a wet paper bag either and he don't have a prayer in knowing half what Gary Warner knows.

Hey man i'm in the chat room come B.S. if ya want.

i am hungry but ive gone soft cuz i have a newborn to worry about now.if it was just me shoot i take that risk of being unemployed and hitting up the shops. i was out of work for two months and looking for shops to hire, it was overwhelming cuz i had no dinero coming in and my wife was about to pop anytime . im hungry and persistant, its taking me a year to get back in ripping out cast iron heat exchangers(lol)but still going, alot of guys that i work worth that went to school for hvac and did some field work, they say that they would never want to go back,but i want to go back to the field,i miss it,i guess what holds me back is tools im trying yo stock up(heheh i get 30% off) ..thanks for the advice, i will use it and see what happends