Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fan prop puller

fan prop puller

Anybody recommend an extra heavy duty fan prop puller? Strong enough to use impact on.

Posi lock pullers are the $h1t.

http://www.posilock.com/Manual/manual_intro.htm

Most of the time I just use a adjustable wrench and some kroil.... Only use the posi on really stuck and big stuff.

I have 2 Posi-Lock pullers. The 103 (get the 104, it's better) and a 110. Also get the hub puller kit to go with and you'll be set. If it doesn't come off with those, then you will break it in the process.

If you are looking for something to use on fan blades, I recommend The Ultimate Puller. It is available ant any United Refrigeration. I always use a cordless impact on mine and in 12 years I can only recall maybe 2 fan blades that I could not get off.

I mainly have trouble pulling those big props on Trane RTAC chillers. I broke my hub puller this week when I put my electric impact on it. I do use a posilock sometimes, but mine will not work on these. I will look into the hub puller kit ryan because the posilock is very well made.

Are you having problems with the newer rtac blades or the older ones?

2006-2008 models are the ones giving me trouble

Those the blades the the claws on the blade? I haven't tried pulling one of those yet. Come to think of it, I haven't changed any condenser fan motors this summer at all!

Claws on posilock will just bend the blades. I have been able to get some off with hub puller, but it is a b***h.

Sounds like sawzall, penetrating oil, a black iron nipple and a brass punch territory.

If I have to manually knock one out the 3/4x3 inch nipple is the way to go. Gives you something to hold the blade on.

1.5 hp and larger we rebuild so I have to get them off without damage to shaft.

You guys are hardcore. I wonder how much time you could save by not having to do that? I bet that's a major pain when you are out there sweating to death trying not to tear either the blade or motor shaft up.

Those policy pullers look a lot more rugged than the hub pullers I currently have so thanks for posting the link dchappa. Sad to say with hourly rates on the rise it has come to the time where blades are replaced with the motor if technician is able to get one from supply house or pull one out of his @#$. Less mechanically inclined mechanics + higher hourly rate=part replacement. Although I remember roaming my dad's shop in my early years and was amazed at the drive to finding a way to successfully pull that fanrblade that seemed like it was welded to the shafts. Such phrases as "don't pean the shaft you can idiot", "wd-40 is for rookies you guys need to try this stuff" and "HEAT ITTTTTTTT" I can remember. I have a great respect for guys who still replace bearings on smaller motors and understand the idea that finesse is an very important factor on even the most grueling tasks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast