Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Job Shadow

If the mechanic you are shadowing is in a conversation don't say a word and keep it short if asked me to talk. Not trying to scare you it's just that when training new employees there are some that like to act that they know whats going on and next thing you know they are talking to the customer telling them how they have gotten the situation under control all the while I am trying to think how to explain it just condemned the unit. Hahaha Be respectful and listen carefully. Remember that this is something that you are learning so don't try to act like you know how to do everything cause you could end up hurting yourself. Tough trade to learn at first and it takes awhile before you start to realize what actually is going on. Some don't seem to ever catch and we refer to them as INSTALLERS. HAHAHA IM JK

will you be jumping in a journeymans truck from the same company and possibly the same guy every week...pocket note pad and 2 pens no tools the first time he will let you know what is needed.last thing a lead guys wants to see is a apprentice holding a multimeter...he'll let you use his along with his tools.the lead guy is important in that he might be use to having a helper around for conversation and being a team..then you have lead guys who works alone 40 hrs a week 52 weeks a year.so now he has to converse,show,watch...and do the breakdown service and won't be a happy camper.if your going out to do just maint jobs then that will be easier for both concerned....if they bounce you around with the lead guys you'll see the differences....and that is a big part of the field as you will learn.as much as they are checking you out also grade them in that note book positives/negatives on a 1-10 scale from that guy was awesome(10) to ....what a nut(1) he was.NOTE very important if it is just one company and their techs DO NOT comment on any lead techs to others....commenting on others will ACE you in a half a heartbeat!!!!!
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

Could not have said it better myself! Simple but also dead on when dealing with techs (us). It's amazing to see the backstabbing and school girl drama out there but I understand that it's people's livelihood and to move up some people find it easier to throw his fellow employees under the buss. The best mechanics just move up the ladder on performance only and the worst guys use the new guy as tool to make others look bad. So yes don't get sucked into the drama. I

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12