Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Job Shadow

Job Shadow

Hi ,

I have recently started a 9 month foundation HVAC/R course and as part of the course the School will be paying for 9 months of WCB. Every Friday I will get the opportunity to learn from a Journeyman mechanic. (I am hoping this will turn into a position after the 9 months)

Any advice on things I should do from the get go to improve my chances of being hired after the 9 months?

Thanks

Show up on time, clean, sober, and ready to work. Remember you are on the first rung of this ladder and dont be dicouraged or offended by being a go fer. learn what you can when you can from the journeyman but do not hound him/her when its time for them to get something done and you to just go get something. Good luck and welcome to trade.

thanks,

I wouldn't consider my work as being a gofer regardless of the task (wax on wax off), I plan to keep my head up, an extra bounce in my step, spread a positive virus, always be ready with a hand, consider the whole picture, and remember and appreciate that the person teaching me is giving me their time and knowledge.

thanks for the advice Tommy

Find out what you need to do to get an apprenticeship in BC when you become employed. Most likely you'll still have to do the 4 year program after you're done this.

yeah during/after the 9 months if i can find a company to sponsor me ie register me for an ITA number i can immediately take my 6 weeks schooling for level 2 and start off as a 2nd year apprentice. I am hoping that if the company I will be riding around with doesn't need another hand that they will at least register me for an ITA number so I can take the 2nd level training. Then I will need to go back the following year for 3rd level and so on.

Either way I am grateful for the knowledge that will be shared, and have no expectations of anything owed to me.

thanks for the advice Syndicated

Also if you were going to have somebody shadow with you, what tools would you like them to have on them?

any advice here is appreciated

Boots and gloves. If your just a shadow getting started you won't know what kind of meter you want/need yet anyway so just come with an open mind and willingness to work and learn for now. You can use my tools if I let you start wrenching on something for now.

thanks for the info Tommy

I picked up a fluke 902 at my instructors suggestion, probably wont need it for the first bit while shadowing. Got my protective foot wear, gloves, glasses, ratcheting refrigeration wrench, drive a matic nut driver , multi bit screw driver/nut driver, aviation snips, head lamp, cordless rigid drill/flash light, set of pliers, ....... and on and on all in my Veto Pro Pac LC, and Klein Tradesman pro back pack.(kinda went over board in anticipation, got the tools bug) Is bringing it all a bit of over kill? other than the Boots and Gloves should i bring a couple other items

thanks again Tommy

if you're shadowing me aka just to see what I do, bring work boots and yea work glove, maybe a multibit. and anything else you might need to survive the day (food, water. etc) but if you got hired bring ur tool bag with some hand tools or whatever else you might want. the guy ur shadowing might have everything. and pls stand aside, and ask question after or when the time is right, but not all the time.
    Parts Changer Extraordinaire
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Have tools and gauges, will travel.

RIDGID|YELLOW JACKET|UEI|TESTO|STANLEY|CPS|VETO| KLEIN|MILWAUKEE|MASTERCRAFT|

thanks blitz

After viewing a SHADOW ( different trade ) last week , Leave the CELL PHONE alone and do not TEXT was what I constantly heard being told then yelled at the kid by the mechanic he was assigned to.

yeah no doubt

thanks Control Man

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast