Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hmm

Got called out for no heat, go to check if stat is sending signal to furnace and find this gem:

I'm willing to bet this poor Lennox ran with the door switch taped and no filter for WEEKS while they did the drywall, sanding, etc in here. A closeup:

You can see where my finger left a clean spot on the cabinet. YIKES. I couldn't clean it right there because the customer wouldn't pay for it (new house), so we have to wait to see if builder will pay for it.

Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the gun.

Homeowner needs to see if the builder will give them a new house. That furnace is doomed.
    Whoa Maynard - that's not how it works.

At first glance, I thought a snake had slithered in there!
    There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action....Mark Twain

That HX is toast, and not covered under warranty with that.

furnace should go in well after rock is sanded... need heat ? use portable heaters .. same for cooling .. thats a shame to the homeowner .... was on a job 2 weeks ago & noticed that the store next to the one i was working on didnt even have a poored floor .. still dirt but was running the AC .. we checked out inside of RTU for ****s n giggles & well that thing was so f*@ked

Yeah, get a builder to pay for construction heat or cooling....

Tell them "no", and the contractor won't get any more work.

Build in money for a cleaning, then you are too high to get the job.

Drywallers won't guarantee their work unless it is over 68*... Flooring guys whine about the moisture content.... Trim guys whine about the moisture content... Laminate guys whine the glue won't work if it is too hot/cold/humid... Electricians are always too hot or too cold....

Yeah, some of the issues are legit, but the HVAC contractor is bearing the burden of maintaining jobsite conditions with homeowner equipment and the HVAC guy eats it in the shorts.

The builder makes their money and the homeowner gets screwed.
    Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey. It's unwise to pay too little.
    When you pay too much, you lose a little money -- that is all. When you pay too little, you may lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do.

The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot -- it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run. And if you do that, you will have enough to pay for something better."

John Ruskin

bid for the just pane dumb things

I keep telling the estimater to add in 50% for plane stupid things that happen. So we can turn a profit.

Doesn't anyone use "portable" package units for construction heating/cooling? I see it quite often down here with the higher-end builders. Additionally, on any remodel design I do, where there'll be a new HVAC system installed, the old unit stays in until the VERY end. With 2 ton package units being so inexpensive and relatively lightweight, I can't justify doing a job without one.

Some of the better generals around here have clammed onto some older electric furnaces. They have a cheap plenum with a few registers on it and r/a box built and they are good to go. Other than that, almost everyone around here runs the new equip for new const heating (rarely cooling, unless it's carpet or finish guys).

"If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

Plenum? bah... Some flex here, some flex there, and you've got yourself some good construction cooling/heating

oops. that's going to void the warranty
    Installs, Changeouts, & Heat Stroke.....not necessarily in that order

We here in Canada, often run into the builders that insist that the home-owner's furnace is used during construction... and the dumb-assed people that run my company won't cave into the builder's demands for fear of loosing the contract.

Sadly, we pay for the first year of annomalies that haunt these poor furnaces. A/C is never an issue, as our summers aren't hot enough to warrant A/C during construction.

I'm the one they send to appease the customer, but I do not hesitate to side with customer.... initiate the repair, and make DAMNED sure that the customer isn't billed. Dry wall dust (Sheet rock for my southern bretheren) is a killer... and if I go to a furnace that is saturated.... I clean it proper, and bill my company for their own fault in not putting pressure on the builders.

As for my fear of loosing my job? Not worried. I'd rather work for less pay for a company that takes care of it's customers.... my company is trying to meet that profile. They just need to grow a set, and pester the builders to do better. There is good competition here, lots of jobs for everyone, and the trades are screaming for techs.... so the ball is in our court to set the standard.
    Teach the apprentices right... and learn from their questions and ideas.

Originally posted by ricm
    I'd rather work for less pay for a company that takes care of it's customers.... my company is trying to meet that profile.
    Let me guess, they have the "less pay" part down pat and are working on the "take care of customers" part?
    Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the gun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast