+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Where I'm working.. and what I got told

Post Likes

Where I'm working.. and what I got told

So today I come to work and apparently I had a call back because there was a drain filled with orange vomit looking thick slime. Well I cleared the drain checked operations and it was fine. Well apparently the guy had to go back again because it re-clogged. (I think it's due to the home owner not changing their filters regularly, and I advised them to do so that day because the filter was black. Anyhow.. a little background on me I went to trade school and finished, been doing this for about 2 years now and am pretty confident residential and light commercial.. I go back on the two SENIOR techs all the time, I remember one instance where the tech pulled and cleaned a coil, well I was on call and got called out that night to find the ladys home filled with 2 inch high covering of water on the floor everywhere. He didn't blow out the drain, and missed a bad condensate pump. When I go back on those techs, I do not rub it in their face because i'm a humble person and I know people make mistakes. it just seems like when I make one it gets pointed out, maybe because i'm 21 years old, maybe because they need someone to vent their frustrations on, But apparently the boss told me I "lack confidence" I just don't get it. I think i've maybe had 6 call backs over 4 months. But he says hes going to ride with me a couple times. What would you guys think about that shiz?

Post Likes
    Tell him he is more than welcome. Dont be nervous. Do the best job you can and he will see whether or not you are confident and doing a good job. No biggie. I know it sucks to have to be watched, but, it is what it is...

Post Likes
    I would just let it go. If your boss was that mad he would have fired you . I think that it's not necessarily you who lacks confidence but, he lacks confidence in you....show him he's wrong.

I would NEVER badmouth or tattle on those other techs to the boss but maybe let them know as In Hey I had to go to xxx and noticed you were just there... And leave it at that

Part of its your age , don't be In a hurry to grow up , I wish I could be 21 again ,everyday,forever .

fido ....F#$k it drive on

Post Likes
    2 yrs in trade and confidence; are not the same.

get bitter or get better, it's your choice.

listen when he talks, ask if you don't understand.

you'll get there; all our guys know i don't mind getting in there @ss for a second screw up of same nature or an "experienced" tech not checking basics and me having to go listen to pizzed off client.

work smarter not harder_there may be a better way
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Post Likes
    Relax. You'll be fine. It happens

Post Likes
    A boss who makes a big deal over call backs is plain greedy. IMO. Most callbacks are an oportunity to make money anyways because the problem is usually not connected to the original call, however stuff does happen. As far as the Boss wanting to ride with you he probably sees other issues than just the call backs, or maybe the "senior techs" are realy bad mouthing you cause they are jealous or feel threatened by your technnical ability. If it were me I would catch them in the field and lay it on the line real quick. Oh and the missed clogged drain on an evap coil clean, classic, he isn't perfect either.
    Life is full of unexpected hurtles just hang in there buddy.

Post Likes
    I feel your pain but you need atleast 5 years in the trade. It's cause of your age consider yourself lucky to have the opportunity that you have and show the boss you know what's up.

Did you just start out in a truck alone?

Post Likes
    We dont consider a guy fully seasoned until between five and ten years, depending on the guy. Two years, its just part of the growth process. No biggie. perhaps you will learn something, perhaps not, either way, you get a free helper for the day.

Post Likes
    Confidence comes with time and experience.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by TamarHV View Post
    So today I come to work and apparently I had a call back because there was a drain filled with orange vomit looking thick slime. Well I cleared the drain checked operations and it was fine. Well apparently the guy had to go back again because it re-clogged. (I think it's due to the home owner not changing their filters regularly, and I advised them to do so that day because the filter was black. Anyhow.. a little background on me I went to trade school and finished, been doing this for about 2 years now and am pretty confident residential and light commercial.. I go back on the two SENIOR techs all the time, I remember one instance where the tech pulled and cleaned a coil, well I was on call and got called out that night to find the ladys home filled with 2 inch high covering of water on the floor everywhere. He didn't blow out the drain, and missed a bad condensate pump. When I go back on those techs, I do not rub it in their face because i'm a humble person and I know people make mistakes. it just seems like when I make one it gets pointed out, maybe because i'm 21 years old, maybe because they need someone to vent their frustrations on, But apparently the boss told me I "lack confidence" I just don't get it. I think i've maybe had 6 call backs over 4 months. But he says hes going to ride with me a couple times. What would you guys think about that shiz?

That is a relatively high number of call backs. I think Ive had 3 in the last 10 years. Approach every service call systematically. Write a thourogh checklist and follow it on every call. Never get in a hurry and follow good service practices.

Post Likes
    my "new" boss told me yesterday that he was going to ride with me for two weeks, told him to come on; I'll have him crying like a baby in two days!

it comes with the territory
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Post Likes
    I have had three call backs in three weeks, not a reflection of my skill or "confidence". Three in ten years, miracle.

Post Likes
    I'm surprised your even doing service in the field as a new tech.
    I spent 3.5 years a t a residential light commercial company as an installer and did service 1 day...its the old crawl before you walk thing!

Perhaps your company is just a service company, in that case, your getting a head start.

I installed about 2500 furnaces and/or a/c in 3.5 years while working for that mom and pop shop...I value my expertise as an installer, in fact its part of the school!

Post Likes
    I agree with "six"!
    before you go out with your boss, get on your computer and whip up an excel spread sheet checklist of a typical residentail service call.

start with the customer's name and end with final measured pressures, temperatures and superheats or subcool, and everything in between. not only will it impress him, but it will make you a more thorough service tech.

also don't be afraid to keep a notebook of things you have learned along the way...we can't remember everything all the time!

a good service tech doesn't only fix problems, he prevents problems!

Post Likes
    He may be riding with you, but he's not just checking on you. He's also checking on the other guys without riding with them. And he's using a process of elimination. He needs to determine how much of the problem is you and how much is not you.

One time when I was the victim of a crime, one of the first thing the cops did was take my fingerprints. It wasn't because they thought I was guilty of something; it was to help them determine which fingerprints might belong to the perpetrator.

Before an employer talks to his most experienced employees about their possible screw-ups, he needs to know what he's talking about. He needs to start at the bottom and work his way up. And he needs to know if they might be using you as a scapegoat.

Act like an adult: Relax. Don't take it personally. It's not just about you. It's about getting closer to the problem, whatever it is. You are there to help your employer get the job done. So help him.
    Last edited by Space Racer; 09-08-2012 at 10:01 AM.
    Vacuum Technology:
    CRUD = Contamination Resulting in Undesirable Deposits.
    CRAPP = Contamination Resulting in Additional Partial Pressure.

Change your vacuum pump oil now.

Test. Testing, 1,2,3.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by toocoolforschool View Post
    I have had three call backs in three weeks, not a reflection of my skill or "confidence". Three in ten years, miracle.
    I agree! Must be a super tech, or I'm a terrible tech! He can foresee everything that might break I guess.

Post Likes
    senior guys are whinning to the boss,this is just maint stuff how do you do with dead units and callbacks after finding what you thought was the problem.do you follow up leads on breakdown call backs.if you feel he is attacking you on callbacks let it ride don't start a verbal war on those senior guys on and on....your 21yrs old with no responsibilities compared to a senior tech .... and nothing job related...
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by J-thetechwizard View Post
    a good service tech doesn't only fix problems, he prevents problems!
    but but but, problem + time = work = $$$
    Have tools and gauges, will travel.
    ------------------------------------------------------

RIDGID|YELLOW JACKET|UEI|TESTO|STANLEY|CPS|VETO| KLEIN|MILWAUKEE|MASTERCRAFT|

Post Likes
    I'm not going to BS you.... Six call backs in a four month span is pretty bad.

Two call backs would be acceptable.
    UA LU189

Post Likes
    Come on zw17 I would actually be more apt to question your abilities on your post. It's all relative, lack of info and too many variables to judge someone on the amount of call backs in the amount of time they occurred. Heck, and maybe he pumps out ten calls a day, ha ha. A callback ratio on calls completed:call backs received or something on those lines then judge away. Please before you take this as offensive, I didn't want the kid to start thinking he's an idiot. I like the fact he is actually telling the truth and not on this site bragging about no call backs. Comments regarding ones success rate or lack thereof can unfortunately lead to less posts hence less knowledge gained or given. Ok I gotta go cause I gotta go take care of some callbacks from yesterday. Hahaha jk

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in