Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    My first call on my own was to change a #201 air filter. HO watched silently the whole time as I fumbled with the thing and ended up cutting myself too.

First actual service call was when I was on call (resi). It was a no heat at midnight, horizontal Lennox gas furnace in an attic. Ended up finding a bad limit/ fan control after about an hour and half. I remember I pulled the t-stat off the wall to jump it out before I realized it could be done at the unit lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty58 View Post
    i was just looking up stuff on pulses and saw this thread. im 24 and have been working in hvac for 7 months and this is my first week of on call. haha my first call out this morning was on a lennox pulse and i had never even seen one run before. i found out just how big of a headache they are. they couldnt put the flame sensor and spark plug ina worse spot. but with the metal plate on over the inducer the unit would start and run for two seconds and kick off then retry and retry. i took the metal place off and it ran like a charm. embarassed to admit it took me forever to find that out. im going back with a guy with more experience monday to look at it again. just have the metal plate on loosely and it runs. i dont ever want to work on one of these again!
    Check the vent pipe, that's the intake, pulse is forced draft. Might have a wasp nest in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

but if the pipe was plugged wouldnt the unit shut down before it even lit the burner??? or am i having a rookie brain fart???

but if the pipe was plugged wouldnt the unit shut down before it even lit the burner??? or am i having a rookie brain fart???
    There a different breed, the inducer even shuts off while burning I think. It might run out air and die. When you pull the plate you let in combustion air so that's my guess. There is a air diaphram in there you should check also.

70 cuda is the baddest muscle car built.

They definently are and yeah i think i read somewhere that the inducer shuts off after like 30 seconds and maybe does a post purge after the cycle is over. i just dont understand those damn furnaces. haha and yes 70 cudas are. i dont have one or anything but id like to someday buy one and rebuild it with my dad. would be so badass

Maybe you should pressure test the HX so when It fails you can replace it. If it has never been tested I highly recommend it

Not necessarily. You are still thinking along conventional terms. That combustion blower just gets things started, but pressures really can move when the unit fires off, causing the pressure differential switch to open if something is blocked. The process is self sustaining, otherwise. Pretty cool technology left over from WWII.

You've got a long career ahead of you, so don't start off down a road of bad habits. There was a 1/4 thick steel plate held on with bolts, and your solution was to leave it loose and walk away. C'mon, now. Get somebody on the phone, or keep digging, but you weren't done at work yet.

If you are ever in a situation where the only way to get someone heat even temporarily is to jump out a safety feature, then they get no heat until you have a real solution. With that plate off you essentially bypassed the pressure differential switch.

Cjp is correct, if you kill someone by bypassing a safety you go to jail.

My first service call (no cool) was only 15 months ago. Two weeks with the company and about 2 1/2 weeks out of school. I was just supposed to be doing PMs, had no idea what was on the truck...but I was the only one close. So they baptized me on the spot.

Sick feeling in the pit of my stomach was not helped at all by the hovering homeowner. Outside unit not coming on, proceed to basement to verify signal as taught (I don't waste time with that anymore at first pass) and announced with authority that control voltage was present and the Tsat closed the switch.

Went to the condenser outside with the HO in tow, popped the hood and was greatly relieved to see a mouse nest and eaten LV wires to the contactor. As my stomach settled I announced "yeah...we see this a half a dozen times a year..."

I don't remember my first on-call, but it was very early in my first heating season. However I am on call this week and caught a commercial RTU ( I am pretty much just a resi) this morning. Wouldn't fire despite a nice spark and voltage to the gas valve at the appropriate time so I called my service manager to say "what else could it be but the GV? He said sounds like it but verify gas to the unit. I curse myself as I debate trying to loosen a rusted inlet pressure tap or simply break a rusted union and take a whiff. Then I noticed the gas pipe going over the roof and down the side of the building to where the meter had to be. Took a peek over the edge and sure enough: Broken, tagged and locked.

Learned the lesson firmly: Always verify meter is not locked out on the ground before you drag down your extension ladder from your truck and climb up on a two story roof to tear apart an RTU.

Embarassing. But I know the senior techs will have a good chuckle over it at a tech meeting Monday AM.

First call on my own, big hotel in town. Not enough heat in presidential suit. It was a real old electric air handler and the strips were all fused and one was bad. I replaced all the fuses and fired it up after doing a check to make sure there were no obvious shorts. Everything fired up great but I never considered that the strip had been down for a long time. It did what every long dead strip does and it set off the smoke detector. Of course vacating the whole hotel.
    The only true knowledge is the pursuit of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by 5thRoot View Post
    First call on my own, big hotel in town. Not enough heat in presidential suit. It was a real old electric air handler and the strips were all fused and one was bad. I replaced all the fuses and fired it up after doing a check to make sure there were no obvious shorts. Everything fired up great but I never considered that the strip had been down for a long time. It did what every long dead strip does and it set off the smoke detector. Of course vacating the whole hotel.
    At least it wasn't a nursing home/ daycare....

First service call solo, was a Cleaver Brooks in a school burning #6. This was way too long ago to remember the details, but the problem was a bad contactor on the oil preheater. Don't remember how long it took me to figure it out, but much longer than it should have. I do remember thinking on the ride over, "Holy S**t, what have I gotten myself into."

After this long, I could do that call half asleep. What doesn't kill us makes us stronger.

I wasn't even working for an HVAC company the first time I fixed an HVAC unit.. I was in school for this trade while I was working at an auto parts store. One day we came in and it was cold in the place.. The owner of the store asked me to look at it, he knew I was in trade school. It was a little York roof top unit, I must have taken every panel off before I got to the electric panel. LOL. The draft motor was turning on and overamping then turning off again due to the motors internal thermal overload.. It took me a few minutes to figure out why the motor was turning on and off every few minutes.. I was able to find a motor at Grainger and I replaced it and it worked! I was happy, and everyone in my HVAC class that night heard about it! I'll never forget it.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast