Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Smile Do you remember your first call?

I was sent out on my own for the first time, and the customer had an old belt drive oil furnace and , to my surprise, the belt had broken . man was I relieved . This was probably 1976 , yeah, I'm old

Sure do....

Had been working for my father doing installs for a couple years, when his lead service tech up and moved to Florida. So me being all cocky, bugged him for a week to take his place.

The following Monday, my father said fine here's your first service call. No heat on a residential furnace.

Long story short.....I arrived and pulled the furnace door off to find a Lennox Pulse. I couldn't find the pilot or burners anywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by ascj View Post
    Sure do....

Had been working for my father doing installs for a couple years, when his lead service tech up and moved to Florida. So me being all cocky, bugged him for a week to take his place.

The following Monday, my father said fine here's your first service call. No heat on a residential furnace.

Long story short.....I arrived and pulled the furnace door off to find a Lennox Pulse. I couldn't find the pilot or burners anywhere!
    F N A, me too lol except I couldn't figure why it would run for awhile then shutdown, the other tech later diagnosed a bad blower motor lol, looking back at that do I feel stupid. That may not have been my first call but its one I will never forget. Damn pulses lol.

My first job was working for a company that worked on site at a large corn processing plant with 20 or so buildings. I changed filters 40 hours a week. It took 2 weeks to change all the filters, then I would start over again. Once in awhile I would be the grunt for the journeyman. Did that for8 months. After I left that company, first day at the new shop I got to watch the vans, during a RTU changeout, so they wouldn't get broken into. Don't actually remember the first legit service call.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

Took me 6hrs to find a bad limit switch on a Trane RTU.
    UA LU189

10mm, because it's better than .45acp

Yep.

Call came in at about 9PM. Ice cream case down.

Dispatch expected a burnt terminal wire or a block or something like that.

I walked in to a popped relief valve.

Almost a thousand pounds of 402a later, we had cold ice cream again...

very large makeup air unit in a chemical plant. burner wouldnt start. found bad airflow switch and jumped it to get them heat. being a really large burner, I didnt have the balls to walk away from it that way, so babied it until morning, then when sun came up, shut it down, went to supplier and replaced part. this was after I went from being pipefitter to service guy.

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    Yep.

Call came in at about 9PM. Ice cream case down.

Dispatch expected a burnt terminal wire or a block or something like that.

I walked in to a popped relief valve.

Almost a thousand pounds of 402a later, we had cold ice cream again...

You refreshed my memory. I was sent out to put some gas in a dip cabinet. I was taught in school to never add charge on the low side. I couldn't figure out how to get gas in the unit while it was running.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

YEP, I was doing installs for RNC and the boss said "hey this guy called and said the furnace we just installed isn't working, it's on your way home, go see if you can fix it"

I went and found the Tech installed a relay upside down,( I think it was a time delay relay) I reversed some wires and it worked.........then I went back to RNC.

But I distinctly remember what a thrill it was to fix a furnace.
    The Last four letters

American = I Can, Republican = I Can, Democrats = Rats

any questions

My first "service call" was fixing problems with new units I had installed- contractor drove a nail through new lineset, didn't start when turned on, etc.

Had a new heat pump tstat in new house blow up- sheetrockers had run a screw through the wire in wall.

Did first service calls as on call only- co short of techs and wanted to give more down time in cycle so I stood in some. Then they started on call in install too. few months later told them could only do one or other, was 100 hrs overtime ahead of anybody else's overtime.
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Long story short.....I arrived and pulled the furnace door off to find a Lennox Pulse. I couldn't find the pilot or burners anywhere![/QUOTE]

LENNOX PULSE

Old standing pilot furnace..Bad thermocouple. Whew, at least it wasnt a pulse i would have been f'd. i still cringe when i see them.

i was just looking up stuff on pulses and saw this thread. im 24 and have been working in hvac for 7 months and this is my first week of on call. haha my first call out this morning was on a lennox pulse and i had never even seen one run before. i found out just how big of a headache they are. they couldnt put the flame sensor and spark plug ina worse spot. but with the metal plate on over the inducer the unit would start and run for two seconds and kick off then retry and retry. i took the metal place off and it ran like a charm. embarassed to admit it took me forever to find that out. im going back with a guy with more experience monday to look at it again. just have the metal plate on loosely and it runs. i dont ever want to work on one of these again!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast