List of Reputable HVAC Contractors for the Montreal area?

Hi,

I'm in the process of drawing up plans to add a floor to my home - roughly 1000sq ft. I currently have about 2300 sq ft, so it is a sizeable increase. One of my key concerns is the HVAC. I currently have a 4 ton HP with an oil furnace (both came with the house when purchased), but my gut tells me that there is something that is improperly designed/sized with the system. Given that I am adding nearly 50% extra living space to the home, I can only assume that I will need to revamp the system. I have looked at the Zuba systems, but I believe that they are only 3.5 ton units. I have also discovered that Carrier has new systems which are comparable to the Zuba.

My big concern is finding a quality HVAC contractor. I've spoken to a couple (including the one that installed the current HP) and they indicated that they calculate the size of the system by measuring square footage and window sizes. That just seems wrong. My gut tells me that there should be a lot more involved in calculating load capacity, including but not limited to, air leaks, etc. In addition to taking home orientation, room sizes, window sizing, E-rating of the windows into account, I would expect a good contractor to need to do a leakage test, air flow test, determine size & location of supply/return vents/etc. How else does one figure out how to best upgrade/retrofit a new system for the home. Am I over analyzing things or expecting too much from a contractor?

I've asked friends and neighbours for recommendations, but no one I know has had this need before, or if they had, simply went with the "rule-of-thumb" calculations (ie: xx tons/sq ft) that their contractor told them.

Does anyone have any recommendations for good, reliable, reputable HVAC contractors in the Montreal, Quebec area who are not just in it to make a buck and blow smoke?

Thanks,

Eric

So is this a second floor addition to a bungalow

Since your adding a floor. Get a second system just for that floor.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

It would be hard to do a leakage test without the other floor being built yet. You could do a blower door test on the existing structure but when you add the floor the infiltration rate will change, hopefully for the better. It would be best to add a system rather than increasing the size of the existing equipment IMO

Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    It would be hard to do a leakage test without the other floor being built yet. You could do a blower door test on the existing structure but when you add the floor the infiltration rate will change...
    Good point... hadn't thought of that. So then how do you size an HVAC system for new construction? I guess you can wait until the envelope is in place and then do a leakage test, but to check airflow, etc, I would presume you need to have all walls in place, mudded, etc. Which means that you already have to have all the ducting in place. So then it becomes a chicken and egg - how do you know the correct size ductwork for the specific room/space without knowing cooling/heating requirements? Or is it all by rule-of-thumb?

It would be best to add a system rather than increasing the size of the existing equipment IMO
    I was contemplating that as well, but don't have the space for a second furnace / emerg heat in my current mechanical room. Which would mean adding extra space just for that, probably on the new floor. Which is a bit of a pain as I am taking away critical living space to house mechanical equipment. Hence I was thinking if it would be feasible to do zoning instead - ie: leave my current layout as zone 1, and then zone the new addition as zone 2. But I presume that would be quite complex as well, not to mention expensive, in terms of tearing open existing walls/ductwork to get flappers in place, etc...

This is the first time I'm looking into this kind of stuff so any advice as to how the best/most efficent way to proceed would be very welcome!

Thanks,

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by turkey View Post
    So is this a second floor addition to a bungalow
    Actually, it's a second (third?) floor to a split.