Thread: Sizing for a replacement air conditioner, do i need a full replacement?

Post Likes

Sizing for a replacement air conditioner, do i need a full replacement?

situation: my old a/c, 2 ton system, is not blowing cool air, the outdoor unit runs, is about 28 years old, but does not cool-
    i assume there is leak of coolant, since the unit is so old, i'm have gotten 2 bids for a replacement: outdoor compressor and coil, for a 2 ton, estimator did not say i need
    a different size of equipement,

the second bid ended up to be for a 2.5 ton, reason: the estimator measured the total cooled area ( about 1000SF) and his computer calculations insist on a bigger unit, but the original furnace will be used -

questions:

1.shall i get new compressor, coil, furnace (about 18 years)
    2. if new furnace, why,
    3. who is correct with sizing the unit? here is more info: house '84, no new insulation, ranch style, 3 windows shaded by porch, 1 window and sliding door- north orientated, 1 window - west
    4. will the old furnace work with the higher sized 2.5

what questions shall i ask the estimator?

thanks,

B

Post Likes
    Have you cooled fine all these years til now? If so, stay 2 ton. Usually most duct systems are borderline for what you have so if you go 25% bigger, you need to add 25% to your duct system and number of supply & return outlets. Did he tell you that? My 1000 sq ft house from 1988 I can hang meat in 100° weather with a 2 ton. With north facing, shaded windows and only 1 window facing west, sure doesn't sound like much of a load.

You need at least new unit & coil. If furnace is solid and you don't want to change it, keep it as long as it blows enough air for the size A/C you choose. You'd likely need to stay 13/14 SEER with existing furnace as you won't get much more without high end blower motor.

Post Likes

sf of house, relation to unit

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Have you cooled fine all these years til now? If so, stay 2 ton.

]we used the a/c conservatively, i would say the cooling was mediocre, the sales person saw also two flex ducts with tethered cover lining[/I][/B]Usually most duct systems are borderline for what you have so if you go 25% bigger, you need to add 25% to your duct system and number of supply & return outlets. Did he tell you that?
    yes, but he said the duct system was ok for the 2.5 ton

My 1000 sq ft house from 1988 I can hang meat in 100° weather with a 2 ton.

[B]my house is 1250sf, not counting the uncooled closets,space of framing it
    comes to a bit more of 1000SF

With north facing, shaded windows and only 1 window facing west, sure doesn't sound like much of a load.

You need at least new unit & coil. If furnace is solid and you don't want to change it, keep it as long as it blows enough air for the size A/C you choose. You'd likely need to stay 13/14 SEER with existing furnace as you won't get much more without high end blower motor.
    he old unit is a 10 seer, the quote for the new is a 13 seer

the salesperson mentioned that the furnace needs to have a certain power?to work
    the unit properly?

so what would is he talking about? any idea?

thanks for the quick reply- B

Post Likes
    He's probably talking about the fan on the older furnace. I'd also recommend staying with the 2 ton AC as the old furnace worked fine with this size and going to larger AC could cause problems with air distribution (blower or ductwork). 13 SEER is now the minimum efficiency you can purchase.

Post Likes
    Got a model # of your furnace?

Palm Desert home, Bear Valley Springs home & Maui condo
    Post Likes
    If the furnace is also 28 yrs old- I'd replace it at same time as a/c.

Post Likes
    2 tons is plenty for 1,000 sqft in most areas/homes. I just installed a 2 ton in my 1600sqft house, keeps it 75 on a 100degree day. If the furnace is 18yr old I'd replace it also.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in