+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1500 microns

Post Likes
    I agree with what the guys said before. In my opinion you always want to bring your system down to 500 microns..blank it off and let it sit. So many guys I know in this trade pull it to 500 and say *its good I got it down there* If you were to try and make It hold that it wont. If your really worried about it do a triple evacuation breaking with nitro then pump. Sounds to me like you have moisture in the system.

Post Likes
    Not to over simplify the matter, change your vac oil and check your hoses. Too much moisture in the oil, or a slightly leaky hose could be the problem.

Post Likes
    Hey SBres22, I know that guy your are referring. I worked with him. I quit my job because I didn't want to deal with his non-sense. Have confidence, do what is right. Fix it right using fundamentally correct methods.
    In regards to losing some vacuum, for a 300 mi lost, did it continue to rise above 1550? From what I read, it jumped from 1200 to 1500 and hung tight? I;d be concerned the condition of my equipment, manifold, hoses, etc. I quit using my refrigerant manifold for vacuum work, went to a single hose and a vacuum stub style gauge. I also add a very small dab of vacuum grease on all of the schreader valve seals.

Post Likes
    Alot of times you can hear the reefer boiling out of the compressor oil. A piece of garden hose or even a screwdriver placed on the compressor and then to your ear will allow you to hear it. I warm the compressor and it usually speeds things up considerably.

Post Likes
    Most of time people who is insecure or belittle others is too make themself looks good.
    They don't want to look bad cause they don't know what they are doing.

Whats exactly are you working on?
    Walk in? Reach in?
    Why do you think there's a leak?
    What happened to freezer
    Why did he feel the reason for this unit to go down was due to moisture ?

We can talk about proper evac all day
    But if that's not what cause this unit Togo down then it will be down again.

Post Likes
    Now that i've thought about it, i dont believe it was a leak, i believe it was just air in system... the unit wasnt cooling properly, running constantly, then going off on HP. The store owner had another company come in and they diagnosed a leak and repaired it prior to our arrival. i think when they charged it, they forgot to purge their hoses. like i said before, i wasnt positive it was a leak. I just wanted to go through the proper steps. we havent gotten a call back yet, but that doesnt mean anything. the owner is the type that has VERY LITTLE patience with it not working and will call different companies every day! which makes stuff harder.It may be runnning just fine right now. I havent been back. And btw it was a TRUE reach in freezer.(I believe)

Post Likes
    If there's refrigerant in oil, can't you set off the electronic leak detector at vacuum pump exhaust?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ICanHas View Post
    If there's refrigerant in oil, can't you set off the electronic leak detector at vacuum pump exhaust?
    Interesting thought, why didn't I think of that? I'm gonna try that next time I vacuum just for giggles.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ICanHas View Post
    Not only is their refrigerant in the oil, but, even at 0 PSIG, there is still refrigerant in the lineset.

I can't count the times that I've set off a building leak detector with a vacuum pump after a repair.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    Not only is their refrigerant in the oil, but, even at 0 PSIG, there is still refrigerant in the lineset.
    I know. We were talking about heel contents on green jugs a while back remember?

0psig is the same as bag full of refrigerant at same pressure as atmosphere.

Systems are usually brought down to 15" Hg vacuum (about 1/2 atm or 380,000 microns) with a recovery machine, then pulled down by rotary vane vacuum pump but by the time you're down to ~1,000 microns(1mmHg) is there detectable amount of refrigerant in vacuum exhaust from oil off-gas?

Post Likes
    just an update....
    No call backs still. I may have been wrong, I may have been right.The guy I was working with has since informed me that he may have had a hair across his a$$ that week and apologized for not explaining himself, he didnt explain himself then either though. lol. but, we hashed out our differences and he understood why I got aggravated and told me he'd start taking a second to explain why and why not he is doing certain things... We are now merrily skipping down the street holding hands!! LOL Thanks all for the input.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by SBres22 View Post
    just an update....
    No call backs still. I may have been wrong, I may have been right.The guy I was working with has since informed me that he may have had a hair across his a$$ that week and apologized for not explaining himself, he didnt explain himself then either though. lol. but, we hashed out our differences and he understood why I got aggravated and told me he'd start taking a second to explain why and why not he is doing certain things... We are now merrily skipping down the street holding hands!! LOL Thanks all for the input.
    Guy you work with may, for any number of reasons, not have the social or communicative skills to explain things well... just life. The unfortunate thing is: Those of us who do more or less have the social/communicative skills... spend a lot of our time cleaning up the messes of others that either do not have the skills or behave like jerks. Again, just life. Glad you are getting along better.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    I've found it necessary to break vacuum w/nitro up to 5 times to get down to 300-500 mics on some small reach in units. Probably due to the restrictive nature of the smaller diameter tubing. Something to keep in mind on the next one. Glad it's working though!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hydra View Post
    I've found it necessary to break vacuum w/nitro up to 5 times to get down to 300-500 mics on some small reach in units. Probably due to the restrictive nature of the smaller diameter tubing. Something to keep in mind on the next one. Glad it's working though!
    Thanks for the info, if i need to, I will remember this entire discussion, be it technical or personable related...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in