Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The second picture is nasty. I have been working with electricity half my life, and have NEVER seen a cap blow quite like that. That was freaking bomb! Noticed the others were swollen too. Makes you wonder what would happen if you were standing in front of that panel when it went off.

I have been trained and certified in Arc Flash Safety. I have seen pictures and videos of very bad things that can happen to someone that is not wearing the proper FR protection around live equipment. It is not mandated to wear it, but a lot of larger companies are requiring employees wear it. When I was a maintenance electrician, I wore FR uniforms.

CT

Quote Originally Posted by nsula_country View Post
    The second picture is nasty. I have been working with electricity half my life, and have NEVER seen a cap blow quite like that. That was freaking bomb! Noticed the others were swollen too. Makes you wonder what would happen if you were standing in front of that panel when it went off.

I have been trained and certified in Arc Flash Safety. I have seen pictures and videos of very bad things that can happen to someone that is not wearing the proper FR protection around live equipment. It is not mandated to wear it, but a lot of larger companies are requiring employees wear it. When I was a maintenance electrician, I wore FR uniforms.

CT
    We do the arc flash dance also. It can be a hassle but when you are in a dirty industry arc flash can be common. Most of the time it is human error a tool drop or pushing resets too much, but environments like where they build anodes where carbon is everywhere it is crazy not to wear it and have it tested! A customer held a 8 hour arc flash training class at our shop they had a great video from a uniform manufacturer on arc flash. I really wish I had a link or name to share it was a outstanding video with extensive testing of different types clothing and scenarios. It was better than most I have seen. Be safe out there.

Quote Originally Posted by nsula_country View Post

CT
    When we did our arc flash training and showed those videos,I seriously thought about leaving the trade. That one of the guy ratcheting in a breaker and it goes off like a bomb...no thanks.

Are you talking about the uniform video where they light it on fire? Or the one thy shoot molten metal at?

[QUOTE=ryan1088;14177801]When we did our arc flash training and showed those videos,I seriously thought about leaving the trade. That one of the guy ratcheting in a breaker and it goes off like a bomb...no thanks.

Yeppers, that sounds like the same video. The one where two guys are at an outside switch gear and the security camera records the arc flash and him bursting into flames. Sobering.

CT

Crispy.

[QUOTE=ryan1088;14177801]When we did our arc flash training and showed those videos,I seriously thought about leaving the trade. That one of the guy ratcheting in a breaker and it goes off like a bomb...no thanks.

Yeppers, that sounds like the same video. The one where two guys are at an outside switch gear and the security camera records the arc flash and him bursting into flames. Sobering.

CT

Quote Originally Posted by ryan1088 View Post
    When we did our arc flash training and showed those videos,I seriously thought about leaving the trade. That one of the guy ratcheting in a breaker and it goes off like a bomb...no thanks.

Are you talking about the uniform video where they light it on fire? Or the one thy shoot molten metal at?
    The ones I was referring to are fairly newer. They set up rows of disconnects and and placed dummies in different types of uniforms/gear. The dummies had sensors that showed the severity of the blow: force, burn, projectiles. The disconnects were set up very simply for common mistakes and scenarios. After watching that it really made you think because such a simple mistake could cause a very severe reaction.

And Most people have no idea how powerful a large arc fault can be. The shock and the initial blast probably will not kill you. It is when you are hurled into a wall or other equipment at Mach 1 that causes the most damage.

CT

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12