Adding Skuttle humidier to new Carrier heat pump system

Short story: How to add a Skuttle humidier (24volt manual control) to a new Carrier heat pump system?

Long story: We replaced an old oil heat/AC system with a new Carrier HP system with electric back-heat. The old furnace had a switched 120volt outlet that would turn on when furnace turned on. We used to plug in 120V-to-24V transformer and run power to a standard 24VAC humidistat (http://www.skuttle.com/pdfs/humidistat_install.pdf), which controlled a basic flow-through, under-duct humidifier (http://www.skuttle.com/underduct.html).

New Carrier system setup:
    Outdoor unit = 25HCB6
    Indoor unit = FV4CN
    Thermostat = TP-PRH01-A (has LCD display and a indoor unit side control board)

I noticed that thermostat has controls for humidifier, can these be used to control Skuttle. If not, is there a switched 24volt output that could power humidistat on the indoor unit end of the thermostat. Of course I only want humidifier to run when heat is on.

I hope someone already did this.

Not a DIY site. Thre are several ways to do this and the installation manuals for the air handler give all the information you'll need if you understand basic HVAC controls.

A contractor can very easily install this for you. IF you're having ot ask how ot do it, you're better off paying someone else to make sure it's done correctly.

Thanks motoguy128. You answered my question. I am not doing DIY, just trying to figure out if its possible and to ask our HVAC installer to do it.

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Last edited by beenthere; 09-05-2012 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Non Pro * Member

Quote Originally Posted by keepingmycool View Post
    a misting type humidifier is not a good way to go with a heat pump. The air flow is not warm enough. Steam humidifiers are a better solution.

You can usually hook it up to hot water in that case. I've done that with mine since my furnace is oversized and the humidifier doesn't run long enough during heat calls to satisfy the humidity requirements.

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Last edited by beenthere; 09-05-2012 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Non Pro * Member

keepingmycool.

No problem, it happens.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

You contractor should be able to hook it up .not sure about you thermostat but a honeywell iaq thermostat works very well to control a humidifier
    We really need change now