If this isn't worthy of a Hall-of-Shame designation, I don't know what does... I'm not going to post the entire story here because of copyright concerns, but read the link... I have no doubt that this is happeneing elsewhere in the USA, and probably with their HVAC side as well.

--------------------
    Who's on the roof?

When you hire Home Depot to work on your house, it hires contractors to do the work. And it is supposed to make sure they are licensed. They can do it, but you better help.

http://www.sptimes.com/2006/09/24/Ta...the_roof.shtml

No he works to fast

The company I last worked for in Florida before I moved to SC in 05 had a sales rep "in" home depot so they were getting the business. In that particular depot the folks were getting a licensed Trane dealer. Not sure what they are doing now but this surely isnt right.

Originally posted by richardkletty
    The company I last worked for in Florida before I moved to SC in 05 had a sales rep "in" home depot so they were getting the business. In that particular depot the folks were getting a licensed Trane dealer. Not sure what they are doing now but this surely isnt right.
    Thats how it still is. Home Depot isn't involved outside of providing floor space for the display and providing financing. Sales, installation and service are provided by the dealer that is associated with the particular store.

HVAC work is not part of the HD "In Home Services".
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

My neighbor had Home Depot install Air Conditioning at her home and being the good neighbor I am, I went for a peek. Gave her a punch list of about 3/4 of a page. She got a Trane allright, too bad the company wasn't "Traned" (nice play on words, huh?) on how to put it in. You'd think that such a good product as Trane they would be more selective, but alas with all things it's about "Show me the money"
    It's better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them right.

i went in a local conv.store yesterday and saw a [piece of paper] stuck up on the board for home depot. a local man is working for them and was looking for local contractors to do work. i had to laugh because most of the guys in my area have more work then they can get to. the only guys he will get will be non licensed dudes with an old 30 year old rusted up truck with a bed full of tools and a ladder rack made out of 2x4s. what a trip lol

I have seen the same thing happen with contractors for sears. I knew one contractor for sears that was licensed but did very poor craftsmnanship.
    Jerry's Heating & A/C,LLC

What's particularly depressing about the link, r.e. HD roofing, is that it's no harder to do a roofing job correctly than to screw it up. My son and daughter-in-law re-roofed a small home themselves and I believe any careful DIY'er could do a servicable job an a modest-slope roof with composition shingles.

I had my home, small out-building and hay shed re-reroofed by a local, licensed contractor a few years ago and they were in and out in a few days, left the yard absolutely spotless and the roof as weathered severe winds and heavy rain; every roofing job needs to meet this standard.

I used to work for a company that was installing trane equipment for sears.Most of the guys in the shop were ruthless.Even the owner was a hack.I was back in the area the other day and I noticed his shop wasn't in business anymore.
    I am only as good as the problems I've solved.

Originally posted by x-wired
    I used to work for a company that was installing trane equipment for sears.Most of the guys in the shop were ruthless.Even the owner was a hack.I was back in the area the other day and I noticed his shop wasn't in business anymore.
    Thats usually how it is supposed to be.

I'll bet he was "real competitive" on the price though?

this is one thing that prooves what I have been saying for years. The Home depots of the world will over run the contractor. Least some are doing research
    Pay me now, or Pay me Later,
    Pay me more if you pay me later

What if this is as good as it gets?
    Jump, Tuck, and Roll. WHOOAAAH

Originally posted by J3hall
    Home Depot and Trane

Goodman and Online

any difference

Nope

although trane does it right in front of your customers face
    One thing you must realize, is any equipment sold online, at least that is manufactured by Goodman, carries no warranty what so ever!!
    Pay me now, or Pay me Later,
    Pay me more if you pay me later

What if this is as good as it gets?
    Jump, Tuck, and Roll. WHOOAAAH

Originally posted by J3hall
    Home Depot and Trane

Goodman and Online

any difference

Nope

although trane does it right in front of your customers face
    Since Home Depot doesn't sell the equipment, or contract the job, I fail to see a connection.
    The display in the store belongs to an independant HVAC contractor, and the person working in the store is employed by the contractor.
    Home Depot just provides the space for the display and the financing. The HVAC contractor does all the selling and the installation.
    If the customer gets a hack install, it is because the HVAC contractor sucks.

I like the program, even though we are not part of it. We get a good number of jobs from people that got a bid from the contractor affiliated with the HD program, but the customer wanted to get more than one proposal, so they used the dealer locator on Trane's web site. Much of the time, the sales guy for the other contractor has already done a good job of selling them on Trane equipment.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.