New Unit Owner experiencing wall vibration and humming

Sorry for the long post, but i needed to explain the situation in detail.

In mid June i got a new carrier 2 ton 13 seer unit. Base model, but all that was required for my 800 sqft second floor. The unit worked great for 3 weeks, then one night i heard a boom when the unit came on. it is located right outisde my full size downstairs bathroom. After that incident, everytime the unit came on i could hear it from start to stop. This is while i sat in my living area 60 feet away. Within the bathroom, the noise was unbearable. it was the compressor amplified in my bathroom. Also, most of my house hummed when the unit was on whenever you were 3 feet or closer to the wall.

The company eventually came out and placed vibration pads under the unit which was on a slab sitting on bricks so it didn't make contact to the ground. There was also space underneath the pad. This removed the humming through the house, but the noise in the bathroom remained although it was reduced in amps. they also loosened the compressor a little. I was told all readings were normal including amp draw.

The humming in the bathroom continued and worsened at night when the unit ran for longer periods of time. During the day the upstairs unit isn't on much so when on the hum is light. Same when it is first started at night. I realized the loudest sound is coming behind shower tile, the back wall which is adjacent to the outside wall. i can also feel vibration when hand is placed on tile since i have located the area where this and noise is strongest. It is approximately 20 inches high where it enters house.

My questions are what is causing the vibration in the shower wall, what was the loud boom, could a wall fastener come loose and if so, could that have been caused by the installers(see below) or just crap luck, is something wrong with the compressor. Cooling is still the same.

When they installed the condensor, they had it on the orginal slab which was wobbly and cracked. they replaced it the followind day by lifting it without disconnecting the copper. I wasn't there, but they had to remove slab, level out and then replace new one so is it possible they jarred ithe copper in the wall loose and the pressure of the compressor turning on popped it. There is some play in the small copper pipe and there is also some significant vibration, like a pulse. Just the other day the control pad area started make noises.

What are my options and what steps do you recommend taking in getting remedy since brand new ac units were not meant to be heard inside. The company seems sincere and has made good on many things.

Thank you.......i had no where else to go....

If you noticed the sound right after they replaced pad then they could have shifted the lineset (copper) in the wall. Is the condenser unit on other side of wall from tile area in bathroom? Did you hear the boom soon after they changed the slab, as it could have been the first time you heard it come on since it shifted in the wall. How do you know they didnt disconect lineset when they moved it? Have they refused to come back out? If not keep on them untill they make it right, and let them know about play in small line.

They replaced the pad the following day and i did not hear the boom until about 3 weeks later, but the noise in the bathroom has been present ever since that boom. I will question him further today about how the slab was replaced, but he did state the day of installation that they would just lift the unit, replace the slab and then just set it down. I do not know how many guys he sent that day but i will inquire further today. The condenser is about 1-2 feet over from where the line enters the wall.

Everytime i mention the noise in the wall, he says there isn't anything he can address with it and that some houses just have noises present in the house. This was not present with my old unit or when it was initially installed. At this point should i pursue replacing the condenser or compressor or is the noise from the lineset inside the wall. How easy is it for those to come loose in the wall. I am also planning on contacting carrier and have an independent rep come out to assess the situation.

If they did not disconnect the lineset when replacing the slab, could that be considered negligent install. Due note that they did initially disconnect and drain the wrong unit when they started the replacement. I had to tell them it was the wrong one and although the tech, not this guy, disagreed, he verified i was right by looking at the specs. Should this be something i share with the Carrier rep. If they needed to go into the wall who would be financially responsible for breaking out the tile and replacing it?

Also, isn't it odd that to remedy the house vibrating they had to put the pads. To me it seems that something it amise with the unit if it is sending that much vibration through the house esp since it wasn't present until i heard the boom. And why is the noise so much louder at night esp when it is cooler at that time, but as i stated before it worsens as the unit runs longer. Is this also a sign that something is amise with the unit.

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond Rodney.

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by beenthere; 09-05-2012 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Non Pro * Member

J-thetechwizard, this is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Your post has been deleted.
    Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Sorry, can you please direct me to the place where i can post a question of this nature or is that not permitted. I have searched this site and can't seem to find where is can post.

Quote Originally Posted by jsawicki View Post
    Sorry, can you please direct me to the place where i can post a question of this nature or is that not permitted. I have searched this site and can't seem to find where is can post.
    You can post here.

Only vetted professionals are permitted to respond.

Beenthere was giving a warning to an unauthorized poster.

I can now post here so I wanted to see if you found out any new info on your case???

like I said before, I had overcharged an r410 system and it started to shake, rattle and roll something bad.
    we pulled some out and it calmed down...I was surprised to see an over charged system act like that.

BTW...I decided to play around with my charging scale by adding factory charge weight right away, instead of just adding to bring it up to pressures...it didn't work very well!!
    Perfect Practice Makes Perfect