Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rheem DesignStar

Have any of you guys been using the Rheem Designstar software for Heat Loss and Heat Gain Calculation? How is it and how accurate is the calculation? Is the calculation accepted well at your local building code offices? I am doing some research for my uncle who is a mechanical contractor in south florida. Another option my instructor at school told me is the software by Wrightsoft Right-J. I have also seen and used before hvac-calc 4.0. The county building code offices are really tighten up the belt when pulling permits. They require now a load calculation which they didn't do before. LOL, its a bit hard for my uncle to chew and swallow as he was old school and would always say 400sqt per ton. LOLLLL

Any feedback would be appreciated

My personal opinion is that the fudge that us added is enormous. It does give someone that wants to have a cool looking graphs/charts and a professional look the ability to create a document that is in the general ballpark within minutes. My personal opinion is that it is not very accurate without altering the calc especially the window sizing. Just my .02

A friend of mine has been using it lately. I am going to give him an address of a job that I did a load calc on and have him run it through Designstar and see how close it is. I have a hunch that there will be large discrepancies in some cases (I.E. home has a vaulted ceiling with no insulation, has a ton of single pane windows, no floor insulation)
    America; first we fight for our freedom,
    then we make laws to take it away.

-Alfred E Newman

Let me know how that works out. My uncle is currently getting setup for the Designstar. He wants me to use the program and do everything. Now only question is will the building code inspector take the load calculation. We are soon to find out.

I too would be very interested to see how an accurate manual-j compares. Keep us posted please

Does Designstar have a "Draw" type option? I also used HVACcalc but am going to Wrightsoft based on thier wright draw program and ability to add D also.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney28334 View Post
    Does Designstar have a "Draw" type option? I also used HVACcalc but am going to Wrightsoft based on thier wright draw program and ability to add D also.
    I don't know, but when I get a hand on it , I will let you guys know.

The anticipation is killing me

Quote Originally Posted by kangaroogod View Post
    The anticipation is killing me
    Hey Kangaroogod! Sorry there was a delay on part of my uncle in getting his info to the local gemaire sale associate so he can gain access to rheem's website. I just spoke to him and he is forwarding me his info to gain access also to the online program. I will check it out and post back here the outcome. I will post some print screen shots if you like also. I am going to try to get also the hvac buddy load calculation and do a load calculation on my home and compare the results with Rheem DesignStar. Let's see how accurate is the calculation.

Thanks appreciate it

Well?

Quote Originally Posted by kangaroogod View Post
    Well?
    LOL,

I asked my uncle a few times but he is soooooooo busy that he hasn't emailed me his login info. He kept telling me he will! loll I stop asking him because it became redundant and I didn't want to annoy him. It's been a while and I am going to ask him again. I also inquired at Gemaire in opening an acc with them and then I can get access to Designstar. Let me ask him again and see if I can get access to it quickly. If not I am going to open acc with Gemaire. LOLL

local building officers doesnt know **** about load calc. just write down some numbers and pretend you worked so hard on it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast