Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Delay on break timer- Help

I was on a call where the customers condenser unit kept turning off after running for
    5-10 minutes and then turning back on after few minutes. I checked the low voltage coming form the air handler and read 24V. It was wired through a delay on break timer. Is it possible the relay timer was malfunctioning and causing this? It was a 2-Ton Rheem unit.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by EseLuisito View Post
    I was on a call where the customers condenser unit kept turning off after running for
    5-10 minutes and then turning back on after few minutes. I checked the low voltage coming form the air handler and read 24V. It was wired through a delay on break timer. Is it possible the relay timer was malfunctioning and causing this? It was a 2-Ton Rheem unit.
    I doubt it, but it should be a simple task to remove the timer from the circuit and see if the problem remains.
    Instead of learning the tricks of the trade, learn the trade.

Post Likes
    Did you check to see which safety switch was opening?

4. Likes Fridgieguy, UmmScott liked this post
    Post Likes
    For what its worth...

I have seen some heatcraft units with a delay on break timer make the contactor pull in for half a sec and release for half a sec and it repeats that over and over and over.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I have seen a fair amount of those timers go bad. Had one a week ago only allowing 18 volts through to the contactor and it melted compressor wires and destroyed the contactor. But I would prove it before you assume it's the timer.

7. Likes UmmScott liked this post
    Post Likes
    Have taken several of those out of the circuit when they failed. If the thermostat has a timed off feature there's no need for the extra timer.

9. Likes UmmScott liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Cweldy View Post
    Did you check to see which safety switch was opening?
    I'm fairly new to the field, but I had one leed on one of the wires that came from the air handler and the other on the switches and it was reading 24 V. So the switches were closed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Depends if you were on the common or 24v wire coming from the air handler. If you were on common then yes it should be 24v but if you were on the 24v wire it will be 0 saying the switch (s) are closed.

Post Likes
    could be a drain switch slow draining then resets

"Amat victoria curam"

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bhacchuck View Post
    could be a drain switch slow draining then resets

"Amat victoria curam"
    If the drain switch was going off I believe I wouldn't get the 24 V down at the condenser correct, which I was.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by heatingelement View Post
    Depends if you were on the common or 24v wire coming from the air handler. If you were on common then yes it should be 24v but if you were on the 24v wire it will be 0 saying the switch (s) are closed.
    How would I check which side is the hot and which is common?

Post Likes
    If the drain switch was going off I believe I wouldn't get the 24 V down at the condenser correct, which I was.

when you said it's cutting out is the contactor losing control power? have you taken time delay out of control circuit ?

Post Likes
    How would I check which side is the hot and which is common?

I beleive this topic is still an open forum and probably shouldn't get to technical since DIYers can search these things. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong. Either way you should apply for pro status for more technical info.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast