Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by vstech View Post
    not a valid assumption. two different values, between the fan and the compressor. and the fan is pretty much a standard, the compressor has to be exact.
    I'll make sure to have the tech check the capacitor. Thanks for the help all

Update - the tech found that the compressor was overamped, and recommended replacing the compressor. Couple hours after he left, the breaker tripped again and won't reset. So, w/o A/C upstairs for now, waiting to contact home warranty to see how much this will cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyma45 View Post
    Update - the tech found that the compressor was overamped, and recommended replacing the compressor. Couple hours after he left, the breaker tripped again and won't reset. So, w/o A/C upstairs for now, waiting to contact home warranty to see how much this will cost.

That doesn't sound like a valid diagnosis to me.

To say that a compressor is 'overamped' without identifying a cause for that is not making a complete diagnosis.

Now, that the breaker will not reset is bad news, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    That doesn't sound like a valid diagnosis to me.

To say that a compressor is 'overamped' without identifying a cause for that is not making a complete diagnosis.

Now, that the breaker will not reset is bad news, IMO.
    X2

So, taking the fact that, if it is overamped, what typically could cause that? I attributed it to the age of the unit (and the fact that I replaced the downstairs unit's compressor earlier this year), but I am not an expert.

I tried the breaker again tonight after a few hours off, and it seems to be working right now...but it probably won't last. I probably shouldn't touch it anymore.

Dirty cond coil, weak or stopping condenser fan

Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    Dirty cond coil, weak or stopping condenser fan
    I just found almost this exact condition on a large rooftop unit.

Condenser was very dirty causing high amperage and blowing 80 amp fuses.

Got those coils cleaned and it has been running like a champ all summer long.

The fact that your unit is running right now and providing cold air means that there is nothing wrong with the compressor. Don't pay or a perfectly good compressor to be replaced.

hard start

The AOP forums/Ask Our Pro's forums, are restricted to only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC can post advise, questions or commentary in a thread created by someone else. You need to apply for your vetting/* if you wish to participate in threads in the AOP forums. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.
    Last edited by beenthere; 09-08-2012 at 07:03 AM.

jose_nina, this is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Your post has been deleted.
    Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Cool check the wiring

Didn't see where anyone advised to have the wiring inspected. If the wire to that breaker is loose, it can cause high amp draw which can either cause the breaker to trip or arc and fry. In my attachments, note the top wire was only slightly darkened. Yet the screw was loose--it should be tight. Now note the damage where the breaker failed and arced. I found it when I found indoor rated cable used on the roof condenser's disconnect and the outer jacket eroded exposing the inner wires and went to replace it. This breaker would not kill the power to the unit. Had to kill the main panel to replace the breaker and cable to the disconnect.

Note: handling line voltage can kill you! Hire a pro HVAC technician or electrician only!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by lynnsacandheating123 View Post
    It was spam

Many Thanks.
    what does this have to do with the post?
    Last edited by beenthere; 10-24-2012 at 03:51 PM. Reason: removed spam from quote

school. That was spam, I edited the quote of it from your post.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12