My Landlord's a KNUCKLEHEAD! Help Please

Not only is he a knucklehead, typically anyone he hires to fix anything is usually a knucklehead too. I am living on a caribbean island so it's about as weird and wacky as you would expect.

I could really use your help to guide these idiots in a productive direction if you know what I mean. Landlord is a no maintenance type of guy and he is going to hire the cheapest person he can find.

Conditions/

A mini split of unknown age cooling off just one room - 1200 cu.ft. - concrete block walls tin roof with foam board insulation (indoor temp in room is same as outdoor temp so roof insulation seems to actually be sufficient. No sun on exterior walls. Outside temp of 91 peak, cooling to 77 or 79 interior setting.

AC did work like a champ for last 2 years. Could freeze the room down very quickly, months ago started taking much, much, much longer time to cool off room. Electric bills through the roof (the only thing that will motivate landlord). Sent AC guy to check machine. Interior wall unit behind filters beyond filthy. When asked when it was last cleaned repairman (who apparently installed it) replied with disgust "eternity".

Repairman did not check exterior unit for some reason (I told you knuckleheads) Trying to get him back for that (I imagine when landlord gets next electric bill he will).

Dramatic improvement in performance, but still seems to be running less well than before.

* Seems moderately longer to cool off room compared to when running at it's best. Acceptable to me, but for electric bill I would like to get landlord as happy as possible.

* Unit cycles off (or to low sounding running speed) before attaining temp target, then cycles off and on till temp achieved (sometimes hours). Does not seem to be cycling off at strange rapid rate or anything, just like it thinks is has hit the correct temp.

* I have very accurate thermometer and before AC would be dead on temp we programmed very quickly, now often 3 degrees higher than programmed (occasionally has over shot and several degrees cooler. Unit is often blowing out non cooled air when still not at temp set like the thermostat somewhere is confused. Interior temp is usually achieved by morning -which is also the outside temp, 77.

* Is it also possible that at cooled temp there can be more humidity than before? Just an impression, but humidity does not seem as lowered as before even when room is sufficiently cooled (often feels stickier than before, feels very dry by morning).

Any help for me to make suggestions on what they should be checking would be greatly appreciated.

Fantastic forum. Thanks in advance.

Scott

Can't help with knucklehead issues. Landlord needs to recognize that he's paying the electric company rather than the HVAC company and he's got an unhappy tenant as a result. Better to invest the same money in maintaining the HVAC, pays less in electricity and has a happier tenant. That's a philosophical solution for a near sighted landlord. Don't have anything else to offer. Could be a refrigerant leak (very small) that's left the unit under charged. You'll need other than a knucklehead as cheap as can be found technician to solve that type of problem.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

If the filters were not cleaned ill bet the blower wheel is clogged also
    We really need change now

Outdoor coil probably as filthy or filthier than indoor was, which hurts efficiency and cooling ability. It could be dirty enough to be cycling on high pressure in the heat of the day which would explain shutting on and off before reaching set point

Thanks guys, I will pass this on to Knuckelhead Central. And the AC overshooting set temp sometimes and over cooling?

You're preaching to the choir on proper maintenance, Skippedover. I was a professional gardener (landscape contractor), and I swear half of my work was fixing poorly or incorrectly maintained landscapes "Of course its ugly, you didn't take care of it." I loved renovations.

Thanks to all, and have a Slap Happy Day!

Scott

Amazing what just changing and air filter and hosing down the condenser coil.... even just once a cooling season can do. More frequent is better.

Antelope, don't think its only your landlord at fault here. Regardless you should be washing filters. Every landlord in my area, knucklehead or not makes TENNANTS clean/replace filters.
    Check out my YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/skyheating1 We have customer testimonials, product reviews and more!
    Like us on FACEBOOK if you like our advice here!

Thanks Sky, I do the filters....religiously.

Landlord takes care his other apartments same way....emergeny call takes 3 weeks.

But we do have a wicked nice patio and the centipedes have trouble to get us on the second floor so we stick with the apartment. Other landords are no better (remember this is wacky caribbean living).

Landlord needs to learn the 6 P's.

Have a good one,

Scott

Better hope your landlord isn't a member here.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Buy a house the you dont have to put up with the bull crap of a slum lord
    We really need change now

[The AOP forums/Ask Our Pro's forums, are restricted to only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC can post advise, questions or commentary in a thread created by someone else. You need to apply for your vetting/* if you wish to participate in threads in the AOP forums. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.
    Last edited by beenthere; 09-06-2012 at 05:36 AM. Reason: Non Pro * Member

newstudent, this is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Your post has been deleted.
    Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?