Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

i suppose every generation says this

MUSIC TODAY IS CRAP!

these dance music stars aren't even good looking anymore.
    the industry is selecting people at random, whipping up music on the computer, then having them record half-ass lyrics over them

i swear, if they gave me the computer and the drum machine i could write better songs.

enough with the rap already!
    there hasn't been a good rap song in 12 years.

back in the 80's, even the crap i didn't like was good.

they're not even trying anymore.
    apparently they're making millions on any piece of junk they produce.

where's the great music? ...like Slayer ...or Misfits?

I now how you feel, my kids play that crap all the time, I decided middle age occurs when you just can not understand how anybody could appreciate a type of music. There was plenty of music in my youth that i did not like, but I knew why other did.

Probably still doing today what they have been doing for decades...... finding someone that they can mold into a character that will appeal to the masses whether or not they can sing. I wonder if people even do live performances anymore.....

I doubt any of the current "pop" stars have any singing talent..... their voices are probably manipulated by so many machines that it could be a barking dog whos voice is actually used to feed into the mixers and other audio equipment that refines the noise into what appears to us is a good singing voice.
    YOU SHALL REAP WHAT YOU HAVE _______ SOWN

I'm lucky with my 15 year old. Just wait long enough and his IPOD will get to AC/DC, or Alabama as well as Tech-nine. He listens to everything!
    Don't worry zombies are looking for brains, you're safe...

Quote Originally Posted by corny View Post
    I doubt any of the current "pop" stars have any singing talent..... their voices are probably manipulated by so many machines that it could be a barking dog whos voice is actually used to feed into the mixers and other audio equipment that refines the noise into what appears to us is a good singing voice.
    I'm a certified recording tech. They have machines/software today that can correct pitch inaccuracies when singers are "out of tune" as well as sound compressors which reduce variations in volume so that voices are always loud and clear. In addition, they will run the finished mix through a maximizer compressor so that THE WHOLE D*MN SONG IS LOUD THROUGHOUT AND THE METERS ARE STUCK JUST SHORT OF "CLIPPING".

Add to that the fact that very few "artists" care about writing meaningful lyrics anymore. Now I'm not against using computers to make music (I do so myself) as long as it's not a constant repetition of the same patterns.

One of my kids and I were listening to Pearl Jam's Yellow Ledbetter. He said wow that' s a good song, which album is it on? I told him it wasn't on an album but was on the Jeremy CD maxi single. A famous "flip side hit". "what is a flip side?" he asked. Hard to relate to someone who never bought a vinyl record or the maxi single the industry's attempt to replace the 45.

Quote Originally Posted by OpenDrive View Post
    One of my kids and I were listening to Pearl Jam's Yellow Ledbetter. He said wow that' s a good song, which album is it on? I told him it wasn't on an album but was on the Jeremy CD maxi single. A famous "flip side hit". "what is a flip side?" he asked. Hard to relate to someone who never bought a vinyl record or the maxi single the industry's attempt to replace the 45.
    Tell him I can send him the live version for beta max.

If you're looking for passion and meaning in the mainstream, that's on you for looking entirely the wrong direction. Thanks to independent labels and digital media the breadth of the music industry is ridiculous. It does mean you're really got to sift through a lot to find your own personal gems, but it out there, and many artists still take it quite serious.

Most of the music I listen to exists far outside of the realm of the assembly-line shrink-wrapped commercial garbage that infects radio and television. I couldn't care less about what everyone else listens to.
    "There is no greater inequality than the equal treatment of unequals."

-Thomas Jefferson

If it weren't for my small collection of 50's & 60's of Blues, I'd go insane.

I do like other music. Lately tuned into some Raul Malo. The guy can carry a tune.

Quote Originally Posted by AC5096 View Post
    If it weren't for my small collection of 50's & 60's of Blues, I'd go insane.

I do like other music. Lately tuned into some Raul Malo. The guy can carry a tune.
    http://www.quinnsullivan.me/2012
    If you can't fix it with JB Weld, Duct Tape, and Ty Wire it has to be replaced.
    No good deed goes unpunished.
    If you want to take off friday to go fishing then make sure you train your helper right.

Quote Originally Posted by desert guy View Post

Here's what I'm talkin about.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pOl8MlVveA

Lot of crap in the 80's, some that stood the test of time. No different in the 70's and the 90's (I guess I have to include the 00's too?). Lot of good music being made today, I am lucky we have two good college radio stations to listen to in town. If I had to listen to commercial radio I'd just find some decent music in the net.
    Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference. —Mark Twain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast