Thread: Flaring tool.

Flaring tool.

I'm looking to get a new flaring tool. Been using the eccentric type with torque ratchet wich is good.
    I see Ridgid make one that looks good with life time warranty, but no case.
    Make one with extras and a case.
    Undecided, as I hate tools without cases.
    Like the YJ but not eccentric and maybe a bit bulky, although bound to be decent.

Any feedback on what anyone found using any of these please?

The guy i work with has the rigid eccentric flaring tool, I like it and i have used it many times. It has a clutch on it that clicks when the tube is flared all the way and it polishes the flare nice and shiny. Only drawback is its weight, and it can be time consuming to back the yoke off all the way, loosen the block and move it far enough to free up the tube. However, it does perfect flares every time and it performs as it should.

I have the YJ flare/swage kit up to 3/4 and i really like it. It comes with 2 flaring blocks, several swage dies and a flaring die, the yoke and a traditional blue YJ carring case. I like mine just as well, but as mentioned its not the eccentric type. I find that with mine i can flare faster and it double's as a swage tool. Ive gotten comfortable to the point where i make perfectly sized flares every time but it does take a little practice at first. I find it lighter than the rigid and since the yoke is independent from the block, it can be used solely as a swage block for punch type swages the odd time i use one.

Personally i like my YJ kit a little better because of it being so versatile. With that said when doing 410a flares we will only use the rigid flare tool as ive heard it has to be eccentric formed, which could be total BS but just to be safe, we do it.

I just purchased the YJ eccentric and I am very happy with it. I was using a malco "roto flare" and it would split or deform the tubing. It sounds like the YJ is probably the same as the ridgid, so who ever has the better price at that point. Also I bought the flare gauge form Dakain to know when you have the perfect flare, very helpful.

http://www.northwaysmachinery.com/pr...Flaring%20Tool

I'm planning to order this as soon as I get some money!! I had bought the Ridgid one (also with NO case) and it was wonderful, but got stolen. This company was posted here a week or two ago and I bookmarked it. Looks like same tools everybody lusts after but at a fraction of the cost....

I have the one from cps and only regret that I didn't buy it sooner.
    http://www.centurytool.net/R_410A_Cl...cpsft800fn.htm

Good links.

Quote Originally Posted by tostaos View Post
    I have the one from cps and only regret that I didn't buy it sooner.
    http://www.centurytool.net/R_410A_Cl...cpsft800fn.htm
    All the replies were helpful, so thanks guys.
    This CPS is the one I had been using. as stated in another reply, these are awkward to use at times but do the job well.
    I am sold on the eccentric type, just seems the perfect way to form and work a ductile metal. Just MHO.
    I like this kit in a case, but think its a shame Ridgid couldn't get with the programme and realise many people like their tools in a case, even a cheapie. The price is ball park too.

first thing I did was through the case in the trash... I have no room in my truck for this crappy cases.

I've never felt I needed a storage case for it, but I have the YJ 60295 ratcheting eccentric flaring tool that does 3/16" to 3/4". It works great and looks almost identical to the Ridgid, but the YJ has two screws on the end of the flaring bar that prevent the yoke from sliding off and getting lost, so it is essentially all one piece. It says made in Taiwan on it, but that seems to be true for a lot of YJ stuff these days. I also have the YJ 60440 and 60455 flaring/swaging sets which are nice, but those both say made in Taiwan on them as well.