Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HRV or ERV

They are almost more useful, since a large part of the cooling season is below 80F but still has moderate humidity. IF you add enough insulation and have enough thermal mass, when the average daily temperature is below 65F, all you need is a dehumidifier and ventilation.

In the south, much of the cooling season you have enough sensible heat to use yoru AC to dehumidify. That's not the case in the north, but you still have the same indoor latent loads as well as air leaks.

Remember, most douthern climates are somewhat tropical. In the norht, you have a wide, wide range of environemnts. In South Dakota, it gets almost as hot and humid as most sourthern states for a few motnhs, but it also gets nearly as cold as parts of Alaska in the winter. The desing temrpatures in a few places there are about 110F apart.

Quote Originally Posted by energy_rater_La View Post
    so even in cold climates whole house dehumidifiers are used?

I read a lot about cold climates and humidifiers..which is why
    in my first post I left it at whole house ventilation systems.
    Homes exposed to outside dew points less than 30^F for months may need humidifiers. Homes in climates that are exposed to +55^F outside dew points need dehumidification. This is most of the green grass climates of North America. Occasional high or low indoor %RH is acceptable to most, but weeks on end may require humidification or dehumidification.
    Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Hi ER La,
    The contractor is a straight HVAC Contractor...not focused on EE. I work in the software world supply software for the EE community. That is what brought me in touch with the EE folks who had me asking better questions.
    Mike

Boy, you guys are raising some interesting concepts and ideas. Let me share with you that in my old home, there was no need for a dehumidifier in the winter. Now, I could get condensation on the windows on cold days. My house leaked like a sieve and my windows were bad (clear IGU with no gas). So, I would just lower the humidifier level on really cold days to clear it up. In the summer the home was very comfortable upstairs (again, I have a walk out rambler - 1,500 sq. ft. on both floors) but downstairs was always cool and humid. My a/c ducts go downstairs but I close them...no need for cool air..and I put in a dehumidifier down there.

But, my home will be very different. The fact that I will have very good - lowE/argon filled windows should allow me to have more humidity on even the colder days. I like proper humidity for skin, wood floors, etc. As for the summer, I wonder how having a very tight home with the foam will work to keep humidity out.

I like the idea of better controls and a CO2 sensor. I can be a bit of a geek that way. But, I am a believer in the holistic solution and realize this stuff is all impact by everything else. I am fortunate to be able to afford a well done system but have no interest in spending money not needed or offering no value to the performance/comfort equation. I do have a strong motivation to to have higher humidity in the winter w/o the condensation and less humidity, and slightly warmer (+2-3 degrees would be fine), downstairs in the summer. Another consideration if I go the HRV/ERV route...swappable core?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMy View Post
    Boy, you guys are raising some interesting concepts and ideas. Let me share with you that in my old home, there was no need for a dehumidifier in the winter. Now, I could get condensation on the windows on cold days. My house leaked like a sieve and my windows were bad (clear IGU with no gas). So, I would just lower the humidifier level on really cold days to clear it up. In the summer the home was very comfortable upstairs (again, I have a walk out rambler - 1,500 sq. ft. on both floors) but downstairs was always cool and humid. My a/c ducts go downstairs but I close them...no need for cool air..and I put in a dehumidifier down there.

But, my home will be very different. The fact that I will have very good - lowE/argon filled windows should allow me to have more humidity on even the colder days. I like proper humidity for skin, wood floors, etc. As for the summer, I wonder how having a very tight home with the foam will work to keep humidity out.

I like the idea of better controls and a CO2 sensor. I can be a bit of a geek that way. But, I am a believer in the holistic solution and realize this stuff is all impact by everything else. I am fortunate to be able to afford a well done system but have no interest in spending money not needed or offering no value to the performance/comfort equation. I do have a strong motivation to to have higher humidity in the winter w/o the condensation and less humidity, and slightly warmer (+2-3 degrees would be fine), downstairs in the summer. Another consideration if I go the HRV/ERV route...swappable core?
    If you want comfort and indoor air quality with a minimal investment, get the whole house ventilating dehumidifier. If you want all the bells and whistles, get the erv and a whole house dehu.The erv will never pay for itself and will not provide make-up air for your clothes drier and kitchen exhaust hood.
    Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy

if I had to chose..I'd go whole house ventilating dehumidifier. love love love mine.
    I never have thought erv (my climate hot humid) was worth the money.
    for a few bucks more..pick Teddy Bear's brain and get the 'icing on the cake'.
    a little treat for doing your homework with payoff in comfort.

best of luck.
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

Quote Originally Posted by energy_rater_La View Post
    if I had to chose..I'd go whole house ventilating dehumidifier. love love love mine.
    I never have thought erv (my climate hot humid) was worth the money.
    for a few bucks more..pick Teddy Bear's brain and get the 'icing on the cake'.
    a little treat for doing your homework with payoff in comfort.

best of luck.
    You are so kind.
    Regards TB

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12