+ Reply to Thread

Thread: whats in your bag

Post Likes

whats in your bag

good afternoon guys.

Im a new member but a long time reader. Im a apprentice in Washington DC, and my company is having me do installs, PM and duct cleaning.

My question is what should i be carrying in my bags?
    I want to have a bag for Installations and PM

I was thinking about using my veto pro pac XL for installations and i have a snap on that turns into a seat so i was thinking about that for PM.

Any advice is appreciated

Post Likes
    Meter
    Thermometer ( that does RH and WB )
    Nut drivers
    Screwdrivers
    Service wrench
    Gauges ( I prefer digital )
    Flashlight
    Ratchet wrenches
    Pump pliers ( knipex is my favorite )
    Side cutters
    Wire strippers
    Needle nose pliers
    Adjustable wrenches
    Small drill

This is what I carry for service/PM

Post Likes
    thank you i appreciate the response.

Post Likes
    well at least i learned something new,

I never knew that channellocks were called pump pliers

Post Likes
    Yeah and some people will ask for dikes instead of side cutters. The one that I get annoyed buy by is when an adjustable wrench is referred to as a crescent wrench same as freon being the universal term for refrigerant. Customers need to say freon at least once when asking about what what was wrong with their equipment. Sorry just venting. Haha

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    yea, half of my co-workers seem to use the brand name for everything like sawza, skill saw, channellocks

Post Likes
    Some people call adjustable wrenches sliders.

Post Likes
    Tradename stuff has a lot to do with the age of the technician. Old farts like me remember when a patent meant something. Channelock invented the slip groove pump plier, Crescent was the first company to mass market the adjustable wrench. Milwaukee was the first to patent the reciprocating saw (Sawzall). So any of the old guys, like me, still call it what it originally was. Because we remember when they were the only ones that made it.

Good list to start with.

Post Likes
    I wish i didnt have to buy a new bag every year. i just bought a bad from lowes and seemed to be a very nice bag only to find it with the ole ganster lean in just couple of days

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by meplumber View Post
    Tradename stuff has a lot to do with the age of the technician. Old farts like me remember when a patent meant something. Channelock invented the slip groove pump plier, Crescent was the first company to mass market the adjustable wrench. Milwaukee was the first to patent the reciprocating saw (Sawzall). So any of the old guys, like me, still call it what it originally was. Because we remember when they were the only ones that made it.

Good list to start with.
    Haha. yeah might be true that were alive back then and in general there was less brands in general. You didn't have to think too much when purchasing stuff cause they're were limited options. M an would love to carry only 3 refrigerants R12, 502 ,and 22. Use the same type of oil basically all equipment and not be ashamed to slap a round puke yellow mercury operated yellow thermostat in place of the broken Honeywell tstat (well I think the sub bases could just be replaced in most cases). Haha
    All that petty stuff aside I want to say if it wasn't for you old farts we might be able to get the names of the tools right but we wouldn't know how to use them. Like the old saying we would look life a bunch of monkeys trying to &#&!@ a football. Haha. Growing up you guys taught yourselves how to use them in your every lives. Mechanically inclined is a phrase not for the future generations unless this kids take trades seriously. Like Mike Rowe said and he was dead on. OK I gotta stop getting so into this post but I guess this is my post to say thanks to all you old farts who had the patience to tell me had the adjustable wrench going the wrong way and if all else fails the heat the crap out of it till it budges. Never thought I could be a mechanic and at this point in my life I try to take the hands on approach in life pertaining to fixing things that is lol
    To actually feet back to the post. I expect to go through a pouch a year in average cause they get dangerous with wear and tear on the shoulder strap which makes it uncomfortable and dangerous on ladders. I carry maybe too many tools when make long trips to get to the unit . Almost predicting the call which doesnt always work out fur me. Lastly you gotta have the clue plastic box with compartments for the wire nutsx brass caps, odds and ends and for the things midst readily dropped and lost. Trea t your porch and tools life your own little baby and try won't let you down. Haha. Good luck

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in