Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help ASAP

If a compressor won't restart immediately following a brief power interruption (and there is no time delay protection either via the thermostat or at the unit itself), the compressor likely tripped its internal overload due to the system not having time to equalize prior to restarting the compressor.

To prevent this from happening again, you can either a)Get a thermostat with a built-in time delay for the compressor (will only hold the Y call when it senses power loss), or b) get a time delay (delay-on-break) installed in the condenser, or c) get a start-assist kit installed on the compressor, or d) don't run your system during thunderstorms (not always possible if a storm occurs when you're not home).

Bottom line sans any of the above: do not try to immediately restart your unit following a brief power loss.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

Will do

Quote Originally Posted by lentz View Post
    That was a good service call. Got it fixed and the fix was free. You might call your service pro. and have him check and clean every thing. That contactor might be burned.
    he's supposed to return my call tomorrow and gonna schedule an inspection and get some surge protection installed

Quote Originally Posted by Shophound View Post
    If a compressor won't restart immediately following a brief power interruption (and there is no time delay protection either via the thermostat or at the unit itself), the compressor likely tripped its internal overload due to the system not having time to equalize prior to restarting the compressor.

To prevent this from happening again, you can either a)Get a thermostat with a built-in time delay for the compressor (will only hold the Y call when it senses power loss), or b) get a time delay (delay-on-break) installed in the condenser, or c) get a start-assist kit installed on the compressor, or d) don't run your system during thunderstorms (not always possible if a storm occurs when you're not home).

Bottom line sans any of the above: do not try to immediately restart your unit following a brief power loss.
    Wow, that's alot of info. Gonna copy and save this. Still, this information is gold (to me) Shophound wins post of the millineum award

Quote Originally Posted by AvantGarde View Post
    Wow, that's alot of info. Gonna copy and save this. Still, this information is gold (to me) Shophound wins post of the millineum award
    I would reccomend a tstat with 5 min time delay feature. Any Honeywell digital stat will suffice

Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    I would reccomend a tstat with 5 min time delay feature. Any Honeywell digital stat will suffice
    This has been on my HVAC bucket list for a while. Mine is a &#*^%$(* White Rodgers. Junk. Have had problems setting the program to come on.

Ahhh...I just don't know how relevant that info was.

Post model of outdoor unit. Didn't they change whole unit already once?

Scroll compressor can restrart right away.

Quote Originally Posted by SBKold View Post

Scroll compressor can restrart right away.
    This did not escape me. In his case, however, his description had all the signs of a short cycled compressor, scroll or not. If there's a PTC and/or weak run cap involved, or reduced voltage supply (common during high demand times), I can see a scroll motor stalling due to the comp being quickly cycled off and on.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

I'd not recommend a supco start assist...
    the kickstart is the least expensive I'd recommend, but the 521 is an excellent model. be sure they install the correct one for your size equipment. of course, the best is shutting off the ac during storms. keep in mind, many battery backed up digital stats do not keep the a/c on delay from a brief power outage...
    a delay on break device will.
    The TRUE highest cost system is the system not installed properly...
    The three big summer hearththrobs...
    Mel Gibson
    Dwane Johnson
    The A/C repairman

also, the damage from short cycle is not the worst that can happen in a storm... lightning surge can fry the compressor completely even if the strike is miles away.
    The TRUE highest cost system is the system not installed properly...
    The three big summer hearththrobs...
    Mel Gibson
    Dwane Johnson
    The A/C repairman

He said entire od unit was dead. No fan. No compressor.

Post m# of your unit. It may already have short cycle protection.

I will post this afternoon after work. Thx ahead. This website is the bomb

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12