Is there such a thing as Plastic Duct work?

Is there such a thing as Plastic Duct work?

In talking to a contractor they gave me three quotes, one for flex tube, next most expensive was fiberglass duct board, and most expensive was sheet metal.

I thought for sure there would be some cheap chemical weld plastic that everyone was using now a days.

Obviously plastic melts in the heat, but there are a lot of plastics that can take the heat. Is there any reason there isn't a plastic duct work system available?

Problem with plastic is it needs to be insulated just like metal duct. It costs more than metal duct and isn't a stock item at many supply houses.

There is a CFC free Phenolic foam duct board called "KoolDuct." It is is lighter than metal duct, is foil faced, has insulated/lined acoustic and R-value characteristics, leaks less than metal ductwork sealed to SMACNA Class 6. Better R value than similar thickness of fiberglass ductboard.

Problem is it can only be installed by a certified installer, and it costs more for the materials than metal, but the installation is supposed to be cheaper.

I think the big problem with plastics are the smoke and fire ratings.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Phenolic foam has excellent fire resistance and flame spread ratings and low levels of toxic fume emissions in a fire. It's used as insulation in walls, roof cavities, as sarking boards, and under floors.
    Last edited by vangoghsear; 08-30-2012 at 10:50 AM.

Plastic is avilable but every supply does not have it. All the material will have to be ordered. It does make a good job and is easy to insulate.
    Blue Fox

You have your quotes, so the decision is clear, the FG Trunk with branches ( flex if accessiable andr "hard pipe" insulated if not accessible) and by the way the KoolDuct is very specialized and more expensive than res sheet metal!
    I would keep the return short and sweet with transfer (jump) ducts for room returns
    Good luck
    You have got to learn from other people's mistakes! Because God knows you don't live long enough to make them all yourself !!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by genduct View Post
    ...and by the way the KoolDuct is very specialized and more expensive than res sheet metal!
    I agree. I also said this in my post. I was just answering his question, "Is there such a thing as plastic ductwork?"