Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

New but Noisy Brayant HVAC system.

I had a new bryant HVAC system put in my basement and it is nothing but noisy.

I don't mind the noise rush of air but there is a high pitch sqeal in it when I am
    near the air intake vent. I am going to have my contractor to look at it but I am about
    ready to trash it any buy somthing else. I don't like respending money on something
    but buying that noisy thing was a big mistake.

Any suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Muckmail View Post

I don't mind the noise rush of air but there is a high pitch sqeal in it when I am
    near the air intake vent. I am going to have my contractor to look at it but I am about
    ready to trash it any buy somthing else. I don't like respending money on something

Any suggestions.
    Alot of contractors like to oversize the blower to compensate for the (normal) poor ductwork in homes. That could be one reason.

Another reason could be a lack of return air. If the new furnace has a "variable-speed' blower and there is a restriction, it'll speed up and get noisy) to compensate.

I my house the return air dust is in the hall way. It is about 1' x 1.5'. The return duct work runs
    streight down to the base of the furnace. Then it goes into the furnace through an air filter.
    Behind the air filter I think there is a blower device. That is where the squeek is coming
    from. It echos throght that vent to the hallway. It may not bother a lot of people but my
    ears pick up on high pitches.
    The low sound rushing air is ok but metel to metal squeeks are a problem.
    Any suggestions

Sounds like squirrel cage rubbing on housing on start up
    Knowledge comes with experience

So is that normal on a new brayant system and what should I do about it?

No not normal at all!! If you just had it installed have them come back to fix it.
    Knowledge comes with experience

It not super loud but it is there? Some people may not notice but my ears
    home in on it. I guess go ahead and call about it?

In my older home our ducts appear to be big. Output are ducts 12" x 8" square coming
    out from the furnace untill they get close to the room outlet boxes then they branch into
    circular ducts. The input ducts also seem large as noted in my previous post.
    The house is a small house with a one ton single stage AC and a 2 stage furnace.
    So it is possable that the contractor may have oversized the blower unit for
    this old duct system?

Another thing I noted is that here is nothing to hold the filter upright across the inlet
    hole. When I looked that unit I used a piece of duct tape to hold the filter upright.
    Should there be a slot to hold the filter in place when the air enters the furnace?

Thank you,

It not super loud but it is there? Some people may not notice but my ears
    home in on it. I guess go ahead and call about it?

In my older home our ducts appear to be big. Output are ducts 12" x 8" square coming
    out from the furnace untill they get close to the room outlet boxes then they branch into
    circular ducts. The input ducts also seem large as noted in my previous post.
    The house is a small house with a one ton single stage AC and a 2 stage furnace.
    So it is possable that the contractor may have oversized the blower unit for
    this old duct system?

Another thing I noted is that here is nothing to hold the filter upright across the inlet
    hole. When I looked that unit I used a piece of duct tape to hold the filter upright.
    Should there be a slot to hold the filter in place when the air enters the furnace?

Thank you,
    I'm not sure what the smallest Btu of a Bryant 2-stage furnace is, but you might have been just as well off with a 2 ton blower on a single stage 60,000 Btu furnace. I hope you don't have a 3 ton blower. Your RA grille is too small as well.

Your 2-stage furnace may never need to go to the second stage. Your A/C is a 1 1/2 or a 2 ton? They don't make a 1 ton unit.

Are you sure it's the furnace and not the return air grille itself? We have had a few installs from older machines upgrading to variable speed where the faster airflow causes the metal vanes on the return grilles to vibrate at high frequency.

Any suggestions.
    Is the " air intake vent" The fresh air vent for the furnace. If it is a High Eff it will have two white pipes going outside for proper install. I have seen alot of contractors vent the Exhuast outside and just 90 off the furnace for Fresh air intake and it cause al sorts of whistles. Thats what I think of when I read your post with the word Air intake vent. I geuss you might be talking about your Return vent aswell.

It is high eff.furnace and only has one white pipe going to the out side. So is this an
    inproper install??

The noise is not in the vents it is in the unit at that bottem behind the filter. The filter
    is near the bottem of the furnace near the floor. Wonder if that is a going to be
    a problem in a basement.

It is bryant model 925TA

It is a bryant 925TA.
    96.xx precent eff.
    The air compressor is 116B.
    The coil was sized to make it a 16 seer.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast