Page 25 of 31 FirstFirst ... 151819202122232425262728293031 LastLast
Results 313 to 325 of 391
  1. #313
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Posts
    1,942
    I don't think I was ever on a PanAm flight because I didn't travel overseas in the 70's. I was still in my late teens/early 20's then. But, yes, I do remember how much fun flying was in the 70's. I remember I took a Piedmont flight (remember them?) from Louisville, KY to Cincinnati, OH sometime in 1975 or 1976. It was just a short 20 minute flight. Anyway, back then I was in the height of my rebellious days, and I smoked all the time. So when they called for passengers to begin to board in Louisville, I get up in line, and I'm still huffing and puffing on my cigarette. The attendent guy there didn't like that much (back then there were more men working) and told me I would have to put the cig out. So, fortunately I did. Then just as soon as I got my seat in the smoking section in the back, I light right up again. Can you imagine me getting in line now days to get on a plane, and I'm puffing on a cigarette? Man, they would probably sound the alarm for a security breach, and I would be hauled off in handcuffs and I might never be seen again. I quit smoking 35 years ago, but things sure have changed. Flying was fun back then--no strip searches or body scans or anything like that. You could just about carry on anything you wanted except for a gun. I brought a lot of jars of jelly back from Seattle the last time I flew from there to DFW, and they had to go in my checked luggage because I wasn't allowed to carry them on.

    I remember in 1992 I got off the ship in Diego Garcia which is a small island in the Indian Ocean. It is a staging area for our merchant ships in case there is conflict in the middle east. The ships can be there in 3.5 days. Anyway, we left Diego Garcia at midnight. Ft. Worth, TX was on the opposite side of the world, and the time zone difference was 12 hours. They had one of those ole escalator things we had to climb up to get onboard. So, we flew from Diego Garcia to Bahrain. Then Bahrain to Naples, Italy. Naples to London, England, London to Philadephia, Philadephia to St. Louis and finally St. Louis to Dallas/Ft. Worth. It took 24 hours to get home, and I think we had 9 or 10 airlines meals. We actually got sick of eating them. Awh, the good ole days....

  2. #314
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Atlanta GA area
    Posts
    20,896
    Quote Originally Posted by exreo View Post
    I don't think I was ever on a PanAm flight because I didn't travel overseas in the 70's. I was still in my late teens/early 20's then. But, yes, I do remember how much fun flying was in the 70's. I remember I took a Piedmont flight (remember them?) from Louisville, KY to Cincinnati, OH sometime in 1975 or 1976. It was just a short 20 minute flight. Anyway, back then I was in the height of my rebellious days, and I smoked all the time. So when they called for passengers to begin to board in Louisville, I get up in line, and I'm still huffing and puffing on my cigarette. The attendent guy there didn't like that much (back then there were more men working) and told me I would have to put the cig out. So, fortunately I did. Then just as soon as I got my seat in the smoking section in the back, I light right up again. Can you imagine me getting in line now days to get on a plane, and I'm puffing on a cigarette? Man, they would probably sound the alarm for a security breach, and I would be hauled off in handcuffs and I might never be seen again. I quit smoking 35 years ago, but things sure have changed. Flying was fun back then--no strip searches or body scans or anything like that. You could just about carry on anything you wanted except for a gun. I brought a lot of jars of jelly back from Seattle the last time I flew from there to DFW, and they had to go in my checked luggage because I wasn't allowed to carry them on.

    I remember in 1992 I got off the ship in Diego Garcia which is a small island in the Indian Ocean. It is a staging area for our merchant ships in case there is conflict in the middle east. The ships can be there in 3.5 days. Anyway, we left Diego Garcia at midnight. Ft. Worth, TX was on the opposite side of the world, and the time zone difference was 12 hours. They had one of those ole escalator things we had to climb up to get onboard. So, we flew from Diego Garcia to Bahrain. Then Bahrain to Naples, Italy. Naples to London, England, London to Philadephia, Philadephia to St. Louis and finally St. Louis to Dallas/Ft. Worth. It took 24 hours to get home, and I think we had 9 or 10 airlines meals. We actually got sick of eating them. Awh, the good ole days....
    Good stories, and yes, those were the good days. All except the food... which as we know is worse now (how that could happen is something between a negative miracle and I do not know what).

    Back in the glory days; An airline employee (even a part timer like me, all I did was load baggage) got unlimited pass riding (except if the plane was full, which only happened if it was a trip to a special event or a holiday). Most of the time it took only a small amount of 'flirting' to get one of those really good looking flight attendants to move me to first class, where the food was a lot better and the alcohol was free. Airline employees stuck together on location, and the flying staff had longer layovers... Then there was security (by todays standards nothing). As airline employees, we had a CC sized thing that identified us... One's employee card and one's passport was all that was needed to go anywhere an American could legally go... and I did lots of that. As noted above: Seeing (and mingling with the local culture) many different parts of the world broadened my perspective of life... and also made me appreciate the USA a lot more.

    Add together planes that were rarely full (always had a seat available), riding in first class most of the time, breezing through the airport through special lines for employees, and the unlimited access to see the world... Well yes, those were the glory days. Doubt it will be that good again.

    How is your TDL process coming along?
    GA-HVAC-Tech

    Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

    Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

    2 Chronicles 7:14

  3. #315
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,268
    Apparently Pennsylvania is experiencing a hard time getting people their voter IDs handed out. Six plus hour long lines at the DMV, reports showing that many will not get their ID in time for the election.

    If this law had been pushed through a year ago it wouldn't be as big of an issue, but 50 days before an election is insane.

    Just goes to show they don't care how much stress they put on the people, as long they can tell us what to do.

  4. #316
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    7,533
    Many times the problem with this is having a way to get down there to the dmv. Around here the dmv is in another town and a lot of oldsters who dont own cars or cant drive anymore have to depend on family to get them there...... and its sad to say this....but very true..... but a lot of people just dont care enough about their parents to take the time to get them down to the dmv and get them a photo id.

    The 16 dollar fee isnt what bothers most of them.....its the hassle of taking time off work and spending at least half a day down there waiting.

    I had to get a new photo id a couple of years ago and it took forever..... Place is full of mexicans and kids getting their learners permits etc....and lots of other folks there for new photos or whatever.

    Its a hassle that a lot of kids..... who are grown adults......wont do for their elderly parents or disabled relatives.

    And yes... passing these laws a couple of months before an important election is wrong.
    May Allah Guide Us Towards The Right Path and move us towards a better understanding of Allah and Allahs Creation.

  5. #317
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Houston Texas
    Posts
    6,316
    Quote Originally Posted by corny View Post
    Many times the problem with this is having a way to get down there to the dmv. Around here the dmv is in another town and a lot of oldsters who dont own cars or cant drive anymore have to depend on family to get them there...... and its sad to say this....but very true..... but a lot of people just dont care enough about their parents to take the time to get them down to the dmv and get them a photo id.

    The 16 dollar fee isnt what bothers most of them.....its the hassle of taking time off work and spending at least half a day down there waiting.

    I had to get a new photo id a couple of years ago and it took forever..... Place is full of mexicans and kids getting their learners permits etc....and lots of other folks there for new photos or whatever.

    Its a hassle that a lot of kids..... who are grown adults......wont do for their elderly parents or disabled relatives.

    And yes... passing these laws a couple of months before an important election is wrong.
    Every state that has a voter ID law has stipulations for getting senior and low income to a place to acquire ID, it is not a burden except in liberals minds.

    The laws were passed long time back it is the liberal courts that have hindered the implementation of the laws, and it is done just for this reason so it makes it appear to be burdensome when it really is not.

  6. #318
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,268
    Quote Originally Posted by classical View Post

    Every state that has a voter ID law has stipulations for getting senior and low income to a place to acquire ID, it is not a burden except in liberals minds.

    The laws were passed long time back it is the liberal courts that have hindered the implementation of the laws, and it is done just for this reason so it makes it appear to be burdensome when it really is not.
    I think the six hour waits are the real burdens, and only having a month and a half to do it in.

  7. #319
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Houston Texas
    Posts
    6,316
    Quote Originally Posted by AStudent View Post
    I think the six hour waits are the real burdens, and only having a month and a half to do it in.
    Do you not grasp that liberal courts held up the laws implementation hence the long lines.

  8. #320
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    68,923
    Quote Originally Posted by exreo View Post
    Well I just got off the phone with the Texas Dept. of Public Safety here in Ft. Worth. I was wrong about some things, and I was right about some things. Here are the requirements for someone who has an expired out-of-state driver's licesne:

    1. Must present brith certificate or copy of birth certificate
    2. Must present SS card
    3. Must present 3rd identity document. My expired passport and expired WA DL may be considered as a supporting 3rd document
    4. Must present proof of residence with 2 documents. This can be bank account statements mailed to me, etc.
    5. Must pass the knowledge test (just like I'm 16 years old again)
    6. Must pass the driving test (just like I'm 16 years olda gain), but I can use a friend's car and his proof of liability on the car. I don't have to have my own.

    The $150 owed on a red light camera ticket wont stop me from getting a TX DL
    The total fee for everything is only $25.

    As far as the TX ID only I didn't ask much about that. Items 1 through 4 would probably still be required.

    I thought there was a 1 year grace period in TX for out-of-state expired licenses, but there isn't. I've had 4 TX driver's licenses since 1979, but those don't count.

    Oh well, thank you republicans for making it so easy to vote--haha.
    You whine an awful lot for a dude.....I'm just saying.....
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV


  9. #321
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    68,923
    Quote Originally Posted by AStudent View Post
    Apparently Pennsylvania is experiencing a hard time getting people their voter IDs handed out. Six plus hour long lines at the DMV, reports showing that many will not get their ID in time for the election.

    If this law had been pushed through a year ago it wouldn't be as big of an issue, but 50 days before an election is insane.

    Just goes to show they don't care how much stress they put on the people, as long they can tell us what to do.
    It's only a problem because there are not enough interpreters who speak Spanish and Jive.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV


  10. #322
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    68,923
    We still should be asking the question; should those who have so much trouble proving who they are really be voting? If you can't prove who you are, are you really a very active part of society?

    Maybe the Democrats who are going to be paying many of these folks ten bucks and giving them a ride to the polls to vote should also give them a ride to the DMV to get ID.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV


  11. #323
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,268
    Quote Originally Posted by classical View Post

    Do you not grasp that liberal courts held up the laws implementation hence the long lines.
    I don't care who held up the process, implementing a program like this with this much time to go is wrong, it doesn't matter what side implemented either....it's wrong.

  12. #324
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,268
    Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    We still should be asking the question; should those who have so much trouble proving who they are really be voting? If you can't prove who you are, are you really a very active part of society?

    Maybe the Democrats who are going to be paying many of these folks ten bucks and giving them a ride to the polls to vote should also give them a ride to the DMV to get ID.
    So it's easy for someone to take off work, and spend all day at the dmv, on short notice?

    I hope someone hadn't used their sick or vacation days for the year.

    From what I'm hearing you have to aquire the additional ID..so it's not just a matter of identifying yourself, but a matter of wasting more of our "free" lives standing in line.

  13. #325
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Houston Texas
    Posts
    6,316
    Quote Originally Posted by AStudent View Post
    So it's easy for someone to take off work, and spend all day at the dmv, on short notice?

    I hope someone hadn't used their sick or vacation days for the year.

    From what I'm hearing you have to aquire the additional ID..so it's not just a matter of identifying yourself, but a matter of wasting more of our "free" lives standing in line.
    Why are liberals so absolutely dense; all you need in PA to vote is a valid photo ID with a current expiration date. You are telling me that there are so many PA residents that do not have current legal ID. If so then they are already breaking the law because in most states you are required by law to have ID. If a cop ask you for ID and you cannot produce it then you can be arrested. Are you also saying that most people in PA do not drive with a current valid license.

    Again if liberal courts had not held up implementation of the law there would not be a problem for liberal such as yourself to complain about.

Page 25 of 31 FirstFirst ... 151819202122232425262728293031 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event